Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Gloria Rapson's Port Reviews of Gibraltar, Monterey, Lanzarote

Gloria Rapson's Port Reviews of Gibraltar, Monterey, Lanzarote
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Member Review: Gloria Rapson's Island Escape Review
Gibraltar
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Our first Port of call was Gran Canaria (it's not on your list)

We enjoyed Gran Canaria,we found a very clean beach. We also went to the old part which was really interesting. We caught a taxi there and walked back which was quite a long way.

More Gibraltar Reviews Gibraltar Port Profile Gibraltar Forum
Monterey
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
Our other Port of call was Morocco (again not on your list)

We berthed in the dock area and were advised to get a taxi as it was not considered safe to walk in this area.

The taxi driver offered a tour of the town for 24 euro. It would have cost 8 euro to go to the market, another 8 euro to go to the beach where we told the driver we wanted to stay on the beach for a while to have a swim. Another 8 euro to go back to the ship. We decided to take the trip. He took all around the town, then to a craft market which we looked around. Afterwards we drove past the King's palace. Then to a mosque where we stopped to take photos. Following that he took us to the large Souk which has 11 different entrances. Having told him I wanted to buy spices he took us to that entrance, this part of the market was very quiet and we were not hassled. Though I did pay well over the top for spices, which was my fault.

When we got back to the taxi I asked if we were going to the Kasbah, he drove us up to the Kasbah where there were fantastic view over the beach and town. We got out took photos and generally had a walk around. Then we went onto the beach he asked how long we wanted to stay I said 2 hours he said that was too long so we agreed to an hour. On the way back he told us we owed an extra 30 euro has we had been with him for 4 hours. He argued that he told us the would be for 2 hours. This was a lie as he never stated no such thing. After a lot of arguing he threatened to take us to the police station we was fine by me. As he was about to drive out of the port my husband said hold on I'm not going out of the port so he got out of the car and so did I. I gave the driver the 24 euro. The driver told us to get back in the car as it was not safe to walk in the dock area. Needless to say we did not get back in.

So if anyone gets a taxi in Morocco I suggest you make sure of time etc.

More Monterey Reviews Monterey Port Profile Monterey Forum
Lanzarote
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
In the morning I asked the Guest relations desk what time the shuttle buses were and was told the next one was at noon. This was too late as we were booked on an excursion which left at 1 O clock. So I walked into the town which was about a fifty minute walk.

I thought the front was very pleasant, and sat and enjoyed an ice beer overlooking the sea. I then caught a taxi back.

We went on the excursion which was brilliant we went to the fire mountain. We had a camel ride which was included in the price. Then onto the volcanic area which was just amazing. The drive through the National Park was excellent. I would recommend this trip.

More Lanzarote Reviews Lanzarote Port Profile Lanzarote Forum