Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Sakamochi's Port Reviews of Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

Radiance of the Seas cruise in November 2009
Member Name: Sakamochi
Cruise Date: November 2009
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Member Review: Sakamochi's Radiance of the Seas Review
Cabo San Lucas
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Been there multiple times - have friends that live there - this time we walked around the Marina and had beer and food at "No Worrys" - beers are pretty cheap (dollar 63 or something). The vendors hawkers tour providers are really terribly loud and insistant as you exit the ship. It always strikes me strange that they act indignant when they are ignored. I pretend that I can't understand them but my wife always strikes up a convesation in spanish with them.....The glass bottom boat guy turned out to have a brother in law who lives in Mesa AZ doing tile work. No, we did'nt take the tour and all our tile work is done already.....

More Cabo San Lucas Reviews Cabo San Lucas Port Profile Cabo San Lucas Forum
Mazatlan
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Took a taxi for the day - $100 - a little steep but we had it all day. Went to restaurant on the other side of the gold zone - "Bar La Costa". Locals eat there. On the ocean. Singing waiters. Mariachi. Snapper veracruzana (the kind that is the "whole fish"). Extremely reasonable.

More Mazatlan Reviews Mazatlan Port Profile Mazatlan Forum
Puerto Vallarta
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Concierge Georgina's home town. She recommended "Mero's" which is in walking distance. Food good - but even with my wifes help they're accuracy was about 10% in getting what we wanted. Super clean and very good quality. Medium priced.

More Puerto Vallarta Reviews Puerto Vallarta Port Profile Puerto Vallarta Forum
Acapulco
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
The main event!

In Acapulco we decided to get off the ship - we've been there before and just weanted to stretch our legs and walk across to see the old fort. As others noticed and reported there was a "Tuner's Car" show in front of the ship. Police presence was heavy - 8-10 motor officers. We went across the street (over the bridgeway) and visited the fort. There were gov't guides there and that was a nice time. My wife asked about where we could walk to see a little bit by the ocean and the guides cautioned against going left (towards the hotel zone) due to potential purse snatchers, etc. We elected to go right. We crossed the bridge - you could see our cabin on the ship - its that close to the street! We walked on the sidewalk along the import/export car impound garage for about 100 yards. There were people local and ships passengers here and there along the way - not many however. We were looking around when my wife suddenly yelled and dropped to the ground - right next to me. Two young men had run up behind her and pulled their hands over her face from behind - their intent to strip earrings by ripping and clawing at a her neck for a tiny chain. This took all of about 3-4 seconds and they raced across the 4 lane divided road towards the OXXO store and disappeared. My wife was stunned and upset to say the least, and I to a similar, if lesser degree, The muggers got one earring and broke a sunglass holder string in their assault.

My wife and I have travelled the world - and know how to be a "non-target" and at low risk. We carry less than 100$ - in a "belly band" wallet. No credit cards, Seapass and a dupicate driver license. Stay in public areas. Don't wander away, etc. Don't wear or take jewelry on the ship - especially off the ship. We never thought about the earrings - which were tiny - could fit around a pencil eraser. They were real gold, however. For all the muggers knew, they could be gold plate from Walmart (BTW That is where the other assault happened to a crewmember that day).

My wife was lucky that the earrings were the wire and pinch variety - if they were the post type she would ve had her earlobes ripped apart. She suffered some abrasions.

We turned around and headed back to the ship. Within two minutes we came upon a female port authority police woman on an electric tricycle. Of course we stopped and told her what happened just moments before. In english. And spanish. She said "that's too bad. Don't file a report because nothing can be done. I cannot help you".

After re-boarding I went to guest relations. I was told to make a handwriiten report, which I did in detail (one assailant can be seen in my pictures taken earlier at the car show by the way). I turned the account in around 3:30 PM. The ship reported this and a police chief came aboard to talk to us but we were in the loud pool area nad never heard the pages for our names. We received a followup copy from Radiance guest relations sent to the Acapulco police and acknowlegement from Acapulco and that was it.

In summary:

We think that Mexico is getting worse in terms of safety. We don't hold Royal Caribbean liable in any way Don't wear any jewelry off the ship. Travel in packs Tell others this "story"

More Acapulco Reviews Acapulco Port Profile Acapulco Forum
Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Always delightful. Spend ten bucks and go around the corner to La Ropa beach to La Perla restaurant. Clean, buckets of beer, good and very cheap food, buckets of beer, NO VENDORS to speak of, Sit and look at the ship in the bay.

More Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo Reviews Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo Port Profile Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo Forum