Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > vickiw0318's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Whittier

vickiw0318's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Whittier
Destination: Alaska
Member Review: vickiw0318's Radiance of the Seas Review
Ketchikan
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We did two excursions in Ketchikan.  We did the canopy/zipline tour that also included the suspension bridge, a rappell and the mountain slide.  There were only three of us on the excursion which made it fast and fun.  Both of our guides were very good.  We had lunch at Annabelle's Chowder house and enjoyed clam chowder and either peanut butter or chocolate pie.   We also went to the Lumberjack show and had a blast there.  Four of the lumberjacks/entertainers had wonderful personalities as did some of the crowd and the interaction was most enjoyable.   Of course, their skills are amazing.

More Ketchikan Reviews Ketchikan Port Profile Ketchikan Forum
Juneau
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

This was my fourth stop in Juneau and my first without rain.  In the morning, we went out Whale Watching with Captain Larry of Ocra Adventures.  We saw Ocras, humpbacks, many eagles.  It was my second time out with him and I'd highly recommend his services.  His two assistants, Tony the naturalist and Captain Jim, were very informative.

We ate lunch on the ship and wandered the streets and bought some fudge.  Juneau is so crowded and so full of diamond stores that I've knocked the rating down a tad.

Late in the afternoon, we went out to the dog sled camp, went for a ride and leanned much about the Iditirod.  Best of all to this animal lover were getting to meet the dogs and of course, petting the puppies.

More Juneau Reviews Juneau Port Profile Juneau Forum
Skagway
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Skagway was our only day in the rain.  We rode the railway in the morning and it was fun as usual.  Visability was good and we saw a mama bear and her cub just down a hill from the tracks.  I'm always amazed that anyone climbed this trail on the way to the gold fields.

In the afternoon, we went on the Chilkoot trail and float trip.  If I was amazed at the route of the train ride, I was doubly amazed that anyone ever hiked this trail with supplies.  This trail ran from Dyea and started straight up from the trailhead.  I'd have given up right then and there.  And that was nothing!  You should see the pictures of the ice stairs that they climbed at one point.  The float trip down the river was fun too - even in the rain.  Our guide, Steve, was as well prepared as the guide we had on the Mendenhall River float trip last fall was not.  Can't tell you how much this adds to the quality of such an excursion.

We did a little walking in the rain through Skagway and managed to assist the local economy a little.

More Skagway Reviews Skagway Port Profile Skagway Forum
Icy Strait
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Just okay.  Our least favorite although I do appreciate seeing a non-touristy bit of Alaska.  We did the Spasski Valley Wildlife Search and did glimpse a couple of bears.  Wish we'd done the zip line.  The new excursion waiting area is very nice.

More Icy Strait Reviews Icy Strait Port Profile Icy Strait Forum