Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > pursegirl's Port Reviews of Puerto Montt, Ushuaia, Fanning Island, Puerto Montt, Montevideo

Norwegian Sun cruise in March 2009
Member Name: pursegirl
Cruise Date: March 2009
Embarkation: Valparaiso
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Member Review: pursegirl's Norwegian Sun Review
Puerto Montt
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We booked a private tour through GV Tours, which I had read about on Cruise Critic. Everything went smoothly and well. Three very nice other couples from the States were in our van and were very pleasant. just my older son and I went as my husband stayed behind with our sick 8 year old. We saw the Orsano volcano, the falls and the two German towns. It was pleasant. We have such beautiful scenery in British Columbia that we are spoilt. The towns were a little dull but the volcano was lovely and we got some nice clear views of it. The lunch supplied was VERY average and not very good. They kept raving about the salmon but it was dry and uninteresting. I would give the tour a 7/10. It was reasonably priced at $75/person.

The only other thing to mention was it was great having the private deck at the front of the ship as during the fjords and glaciers, we just rolled out of bed, into our bathrobes and stood outside to watch. We then climbed back into bed. The fjords were lovely and reminded my husband of Scotland. The glaciers were neat but it is a shame that you don't get closer. That would have been magical!

More Puerto Montt Reviews Puerto Montt Port Profile Puerto Montt Forum
Ushuaia
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We booked the NCL 4X4 excursion and the kids loved it. The one negative is that the 4X4 seats 8. One in the front, three in the middle and then the remaining four people are seating in the back, facing each other. That was my family. I felt a bit angry that we weren't forwarned of that as it is obviously not ideal for observing the scenery.

That being said, the kids loved the 4X4 experience and going through rivers and off road. We saw the beaver dams, beautiful mountains and a trip to see some husky and sled dogs. We got to wander among them and pet them. The lunch was good. Some traditional bean stew. The wine was dreadful!

This tour was fun for kids and the scenery was beautiful. Had a quick visit of the main shopping street in Ushuai and bought a few souvenirs. Wish we could have seen more.

More Ushuaia Reviews Ushuaia Port Profile Ushuaia Forum
Fanning Island
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This was the HIGHLIGHT of the trip!!!!! At the last moment, NCL added an excursion to Volunteer Point. I was beside myself with joy having read so much about it and believing that we would not be able to see it. At $300/person it is pricey but worth it!!!! It was so worth it!!!!

We drove in 4X4 for 2 hours to get to the beach. The last hour is only 10 miles but it is all over peat and very slow! The guides werelovely and all locals. It was fascinating chatting to them. The beach is beyond magical. I kept pinching myself. I couldn't believe what we were seeing!!!!

The beach is sparkling white sand with pale green water. And penguins, beautiful King penguins wandering everywhere. Words can not describe this experience!!!! There were hundreds of magallenic and gentoo penguins as well. We had seen the Magallenic penguins in Punta Arenas and they are great. But then you see the Gentoos and you are amazed. And then you see the Kings and you are speechless. The beauty of the beach is breathtaking. There are also dunes and huge colonies of Mags, Gentoos and Kings away from the beach. The Kings had their babies!!!!!!!!!!!! There were "teenagers", the huge chubby brown, fluffy ones AND there were also newborns still sitting on their parent's feet. It was one of the most marvelous experiences we have ever had!!!!! I hope that NCL continues to offer this excursion (it was only their 3rd time doing it) as it was worth the price of the entire cruise!!!!

More Fanning Island Reviews Fanning Island Port Profile Fanning Island Forum
Puerto Montt
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Again, this is a typo as there doesn't seem to be a place to write PUERTO MADRYN. This was the reason that I had booked the cruise as I was dying to go here. We had booked a private tour to Punto Tombo to see the penguins (Magallenics). After the Falkland Ilsands, this would have been anticlimatic, so we cancelled the tour. We tried to get on the NCL tour to Peninsula Valdes to see the sealions but it was sold out. In the end we disembarked off the ship and jumped on a local tour ($20/person) to go to Punta Loma to see the sealions. It was pleasant but not fabulous. The drive is about 15 minutes and you are up on a cliff looking down at them. It was very crowded. It was nice but not as magical as being close to them. After that we just sat on the beach and ate some lunch. It was a bit anticlimatic. Those that went on the NCL tour seemed disappointed. Apparently it was over 2 hours both ways (for Punto Tombo or peninsula Valdes) and they didn't feel it was worthwhile. The penguins were disappointing after Punta Arena and the sealions were far away. This is hearsay as we didn't do either of the tours. Again, the weather was lovely and warm. We were so lucky!

More Puerto Montt Reviews Puerto Montt Port Profile Puerto Montt Forum
Montevideo
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Our last shore excursion. We ended up really liking Montevideo. It wasn't as beautiful as BA, but had some lovely architecture. I loved that the sea was all around us and afforded a lovely view and breeze. We had a friend who had lived there and he arranged for his friend to meet us and show us the beaches and more local residential areas. It was very pleasant. Then we toured the old part of the city independently. IT is a 10 minute walk from the ship. We felt Montevideo to feel very safe and inviting. The people were very friendly and the prices seemed very reasonable compared to BA. For example, a local company was offering 3 hour tours for $10/person. It would have been much more in any of the stops in Argentina or Chile. We liked Montevideo!

More Montevideo Reviews Montevideo Port Profile Montevideo Forum