Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > mezza's Port Reviews of Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Stanley, Ushuaia

mezza's Port Reviews of Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Stanley, Ushuaia
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Member Review: mezza's Star Princess Review
Buenos Aires
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Buenos Aires is as all South America cities, extremes of poverty and affluence. la Boca is very culturally colorful - lots of tango dancing - but as you drive away, you pass slums and realize how poor the area is.

The tango shows are wonderful and well worth the money to see them

More Buenos Aires Reviews Buenos Aires Port Profile Buenos Aires Forum
Montevideo
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Our shore excursion here was an estancia - Uranguayan ranch run by a family. I would rate it as the best excursion we have done. A most relaxed day - they provided rides, a big Uraguayan BBQ, folk dancing and sheep shearing demonstrations, all in a very friendly family atmosphere
More Montevideo Reviews Montevideo Port Profile Montevideo Forum
Stanley
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We selected the private Volunteer Point excursion through Patrick but it was the same as the ship's excursion there - just cheaper. We all went in a convoy of 4WD cars/trucks for 2 hours - just in case we got bogged in the peat. it was an adventurous ride and not for someone with spinal problems! The reward at the end was thousands of up close penguins - King, Magellanic and Gentoo. Costly, but the best excursion for penguins - not to be missed. The weather was amazing magnificent. We all went with about 4 layers - including parkas and beanies but it was so warm, that t shirts were the order of the day. I don't remember it being as windy as my video sounds but maybe I was so mesmerized by the penguins, that I didn't notice. You can get so lost in just watching, that the 2 hrs there goes so fast.

More Stanley Reviews Stanley Port Profile Stanley Forum
Ushuaia
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Very pretty port at the end of the world - well the Argentineans will argue that! We chose the railway in the morning and the Beagle Channel catamaran tour in the afternoon - both excellent. The railway is not as expected - it is a mini railway, so like a bunch of kids we sat in a cute confined carriage and had a beautiful ride to a lake at the end of the world - quite relaxing and very scenic.

I sat up the top of the catamaran but was the only one to rug up in parka, hat, scarf and gloves. Everyone else looked at me as if I was crazy - the sun was out and it didn't look cold but after 10 mins in the open air, the rest rugged up or went downstairs!! We saw large colonies of cormorants and other birds and finally seals - lots of them.When we returned to the ship, the wind blew us along the pier. The weather had changed dramatically, just like they had said could happen!!

More Ushuaia Reviews Ushuaia Port Profile Ushuaia Forum