Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > FLCRUISER007's Port Reviews of Marseille, Villefranche, Florence (Livorno), Rome (Civitavecchia), Naples

Liberty of the Seas cruise in June 2014
Member Name: FLCRUISER007
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Mediterranean
Member Review: FLCRUISER007's Liberty of the Seas Review
Marseille
Aix-en-Provence Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

We took a walking tour. If we could have just gone there on our own and spent the afternoon I would have preferred to do that. It was a nice town. I was able to find Wi-Fi (for those of you who care about that). There were a lot of people walking dogs without leashes and I had one run into me and hurt my foot so watch out for unleashed dogs. Otherwise a very nice place. I think I would have opted to see Marseille if I could do it over again.

More Marseille Reviews Marseille Port Profile Marseille Forum
Villefranche
Nice Walking Tour Rating: Not Rated

We loved Nice and Monaco and if we could go back there again for a week we would. Our tour guide was wonderful. The buses on all excursions were very nice. Nice had some quaint cafes. We found one off the beaten path and were the only tourists there, but were lucky enough to find an English speaking waiter. We enjoyed crepes and a café latte. This is a great place to buy French soap in the market. It made for nice gifts for friends. We also found sugar free gelato in France, that we could not find in Italy. This was my favorite stop on this cruise. I heard that the excursion that also went to Eze was nice as well. I was able to find Wi-fi

More Villefranche Reviews Villefranche Port Profile Villefranche Forum
Florence (Livorno)
Accademia Museum Rating: Not Rated

This is where David was.

Duomo Walking Tour Rating: Not Rated

The port was La Spezia - We went to Florence. I am an artist and expected something more. The tour was wonderful and we saw many highlights, including the Statue of David. Florence itself was not what I expected. It was on the dirty side and did not have the Wow factor that Rome had (that was the next day). I still recommend seeing it. Don't worry about buying leather there (get leather in Sorrento at the Naples stop). It's either the stuff in the markets that is not good quality or it's in a designer shop and very expensive. There was one booth in the market that had a beautiful silk scarf I wish I had purchased. Don't let the street people selling stuff have your attention. They won't leave you alone if you talk to them at all. They are foreign, and appeared to be Asian or African (some of each). I did find some nice scarves at one of the nicer leather shops that were very pretty and reasonably priced (more gifts for friends). Women in Europe wear scarves.

Statue of David Rating: Not Rated

He was beyond words. The detail was unbelievable.

More Florence (Livorno) Reviews Florence (Livorno) Port Profile Florence (Livorno) Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Colosseum Rating: Not Rated

Massive and impressive. Well worth seeing. There is a bathroom there, but the tour doesn't stop so you may want to skip the coffee on the way to Rome.

Sistine Chapel Rating: Not Rated

Small but impressive. If you like art you will be impressed by the detail. Plan on having your shoulders and knees covered to get in. No photography allowed and it's strictly guarded.

St. Peter's Basilica Rating: Not Rated

A MUST SEE. The most incredible building I have ever been inside of in my lifetime. No attention to detail was missed. The place took my breath away. I also saw The Pieta, my favorite sculpture in the entire world. I could have spent the entire day in this building. Flash photography IS allowed. Awesome, it will amaze you.

Vatican Museums Rating: Not Rated

Too much to see but well worth seeing what you can while you are there. Again, the attention to detail is really incredible. The amount of art is overwhelming. They have a nice gift shop. They sell "The Peace Cross" and special Rosaries. The Peace Cross makes a very nice gift and you can only buy them at the Vatican.

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum
Naples
Pompeii Walking Tour Rating: Not Rated

Pompeii was really incredible, but the hardest walking of all of the places we went on this cruise. The ground is uneven so if you have walking difficulties be prepared. It's well worth seeing.

Sorrento Rating: Not Rated

Loved Sorrento. We stopped by a farm where they make cheese. We were able to sample it with fresh tomatoes and olive oil. They also sold olive oil, Lemoncello and jam there. After that we went to Sorrento. They stopped at a wood shop where they make inlaid furniture. We were not prepared to shop there, but if you are looking for something really unique and beautiful bring lots of money with you, they will ship. They also sold smaller items. Sorrento was the best stop for leather. I wish I realized that early on. By the time I found the store it was time to go. I got a beautiful purse made there for 59 Euros. My Husband found a credit card wallet for 25 Euros (They wanted 100 in Florence for the same thing). Our tour guide Akem was a comedian that kept us entertained as well.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum