Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > hyker1's Port Reviews of San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten

hyker1's Port Reviews of San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten
Celebrity Summit cruise in April 2014
Member Name: hyker1
Cruise Date: April 2014
Embarkation: San Juan
Member Review: hyker1's Celebrity Summit Review
San Juan
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

We LOVE San Juan! It's fun to be able to fly into a port, take off from there and have so many more places on the itinerary to visit. It's a picturesque, old-world city with plenty of sites to see. My biggest tidbit of advice is to use TripAdvisor to locate good hotels. Some can be terribly expensive or really scummy! We stayed at the Coral Princess, and it was fine. Be sure to try Puerto Rican food. It's very different, and there are some excellent restaurants that will provide folks with their advice for first tastings.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
Barbados
Turtle Swim Rating: 2.0 out of 5+

The two stars here are for the TURTLES that graciously showed up for us, prompted by the food the crew offered them! That's the most positive remark I'm able to give on this excursion. And the turtles were stunning. Some were huge and one even paused to nibble on my husband's toe! They come in close, so be aware of that if you have small kids. They're pretty much harmless, of course, but because of their size, they can seem intimidating.

The boat and crew we had were another story. First off, they crammed WAY to many people on the boat. They proceeded with their usual safety talk, but didn't show where the life-vests were located. My cousin, a retired AF Colonel, politely asked for their location. One crewman sarcastically and loudly called to the Captain, "Ah, this man's asked the golden question!" Everyone expected an answer to which there was first, silence. Then, someone saw a bird or something and the Captain launched into another sarcastic response. We were never told the location of the life-vests.

Later, as we were approaching our snorkeling spot, I had the misfortune of asking the Captain a question regarding something he must have already covered and I inadvertently missed. He told me I should have been listening, and did so in a "smart-alec" tone. And that's what the crew and Captain aboard this boat was like all day long.

I couldn't wait to get off the boat and return to the Summit. I had more fun shopping for a brief time in Barbados harbor than listening to those very rude men!

More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
St. Lucia
Island Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

We certainly learned a lot on this excursion. The overall Soufriere Volcano wasn't really the highlight. The highlight for me was a stop at Maranatha Gardens. I inquired if it was a Christian organization that had built/designed it. I was promptly told "yes", but our guide refused to discuss the organization at all, which I thought was just plain weird! Especially, since she spoke VERY openly and at length regarding the Rastafarian cult pervading the island.

There were several stops, some of which allowed for photo breaks off the bus. My husband and I found the island itself to hold stunning beauty, but the islanders certainly lived in miserable poverty. That much was clear. Also, the dogs we saw in villages were pitifully thin and lackadaisical. Made me feel so blessed to live in the USA.

The actual stop at Soufriere volcano was interesting, but there's not much to see. Next time, we'd probably go snorkeling or go on the Botanical Gardens tour. That being said, we did learn a lot about the island and enjoyed the tropical grandeur of plants we saw along the way. The Banana Plantation stop was especially interesting.

More St. Lucia Reviews St. Lucia Port Profile St. Lucia Forum
Antigua
Island Tour Rating: Not Rated

Our tour was called "Seeing Antigua by boat", and it was basically a circumnavigation of the entire island. First of all, the boat was WONDERFUL! It was called the "Excellence". After the dismal time spent on board the touring boat in Barbados, this crew was awesome. Friendly, helpful, very safety-oriented.

We saw Oprah Winfrey's home and Eric Clapton's. Stopped at Green Island for snorkeling and the crew made a sumptuous BBQ Chicken lunch. The beach where they stopped was the most beautiful tropical place I think I've ever been, water-wise. My cousin and I swam after snorkeling and had so much fun. It was like being on Gilligan's Island for the day.

On the Atlantic side of the Island, we saw Queen Elizabeth II's yacht at harbor and along the way, they'd point out things of interest. It was an all-day tour, but so beautiful and relaxing! Love, love, LOVED it!

More Antigua Reviews Antigua Port Profile Antigua Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+

This was one packed port. No less than SIX cruise ships. They had trams running from our ship tot he dock. It was easier just to thread my way through the masses. Our snorkle trip was a big disappointment. They didn't even take us to a reef, but to a man-made wreck site that was way too touristy and didn't even harbor much sea-life. Right before getting out of the water, I saw a small ray, but nothing else too exciting.

Also, the boat used was so packed with people from two different ships, that some poor folks didn't even have spots under a canapy for shade. Several little kids were badly sunburned, despite sun-screen, and one was probably feeling really sick. It was not a good situation, and with what all of us pay for these excursions, we should be treated better!!!

One of my cousins did a bike-ride excursion he enjoyed. Said the bikes were a little sub-par, but the trip overall was thrilling, scenic, challenging, and fun.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum