Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > NeedToVacation's Port Reviews of Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk

NeedToVacation's Port Reviews of Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk
Carnival Victory cruise in March 2014
Member Name: NeedToVacation
Cruise Date: March 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: NeedToVacation's Carnival Victory Review
Nassau
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

This was my third time to Nassau. I had already seen Atlantis, the Queen's Staircase, and did a snorkel excursion in the past. I took the #10 jitney (local bus) to Ardastra Gardens & Zoo. I loved it!! There are plants & flowers everywhere. Lots of interesting creatures - mostly birds. A couple peacocks were roaming the grounds with their feathers all spread out huge. There is a jaguar, some cute monkeys, a capibura, and flamingos. I saw the flamingo show at 10:30. They march around the pen as the trainer yells commands. Then the kids get to come out in the pen with the birds to get a close up picture! It was fun and informative. There were even a couple parrots who started talking as I walked by their cage.
** Note: there is just a crude railing between you and the animal cages. There are signs everywhere warning that the animals DO bite. So you do get a much closer view than at typical zoos.

I walked back down to the bus stop and caught the #10 to Cable Beach. The bus drivers are very nice and tell you when you're at your stop. I walked through the Melia Resort, out past their pool, and to the beach. Just relaxed on my towel right on the sand, and did not have to pay the fee for a Day Pass. The sand is white and soft. The water is SO blue! There was a little seaweed, but it didn't bother anyone.
** There are a few vendors on the beach selling dresses, jewelry, braiding hair, etc... They are nice, and will leave you alone if you just say no, thank you.

I had a great day and can't wait to take my family back next time!

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum
Half Moon Cay
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

I love this place!! The water is the bluest I have ever seen -- and SO clear! I took a walk on a couple sections of the Nature Trail when I first got off the tender.
Then I went snorkeling just to the left over by the family area with the water slides. There is not much to see, but it was still nice. There were some silver fish and some striped angel-looking fish. But it's mostly just a sandy bottom. They swim around some concrete blocks that have been put in the water.
-- Then, it was time to kick back and relax in the sun!! I brought a blow-up raft and floated around for a while in the beautiful water. Best beach, in my opinion!
* There is a buffet lunch served, but I brought some snacks in a Ziploc bag, and packed a water bottle from the ship. I knew we only had until 3:30 that day, so I wanted as much beach time as possible. Plus I ate a big breakfast on the ship on purpose to get me through the afternoon!
NOTE: If you wait until 3 or 3:15 to try to catch one of the last tenders back to the ship, be prepared to wait in a line. It's hot (no shade), but they do have a couple stands for free cups of cold water along the way. It's just waiting for the tender boat to get back from dropping the last bunch off. Not much you can do about it...

More Half Moon Cay Reviews Half Moon Cay Port Profile Half Moon Cay Forum
Grand Turk
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

I took a taxi to Pillory Beach, just past Cockburn Town. It drops you in the parking lot of the Bohio Dive Resort. There is a cute little bar right on the beach. I think they have limited food also. The beach was beautiful! Soft white sand, and clear blue water. There were a few rolling waves (small) every couple minutes, which made it fun to swim around. It is less crowded and quieter than the beach by the cruise ships.
- There are taxis waiting in the parking lot when you want to get back to the cruise port. It's an easy 10 minute ride.
** Another perfect day at the beach!!

More Grand Turk Reviews Grand Turk Port Profile Grand Turk Forum