Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > VermeulT's Port Reviews of Half Moon Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Key West

VermeulT's Port Reviews of Half Moon Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Key West
Eurodam cruise in March 2014
Member Name: VermeulT
Cruise Date: March 2014
Member Review: VermeulT's Eurodam Review
Half Moon Cay
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

This private island is a dream. Despite changes over the last few years (new two story cabanas and the big pirate ship looking bar) that have made it feel less like deserted island, it's still heaven on Earth. Nothing beats the cool clear blue waters and sun for a day of fun & relaxation.
I took points off because I feel the BBQ lunch is pathetic. Dry & overcooked chicken breast and ribs, boring cole slaw and potato salad. It would probably be better to just return to the ship early and eat at the Lido, or eat a huge breakfast and skip lunch.

More Half Moon Cay Reviews Half Moon Cay Port Profile Half Moon Cay Forum
Ocho Rios
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

I arranged for a private tour with Peat Taylor. Peat himself drove us to our first stop - tubing on White River. very enjoyable. Our guide was fun and took care of us. I met his puppy before we started and he let the puppy ride with me on my tube. Peat's son (aka RePeat) drove us to Irie Falls. Our guide didn't speak English the best, but was a nice young man. He escorted us through all the cool spots, helped us, and watched for our safety. I was under the impression from reading about other's trips with him that we could pick where we wanted to go for lunch. RePeat was not keen on going to Scotchies and dropped us off at Mama Marley's right near the port instead. It all worked out... And when in Jamaica - No Worries!

Note that the vendors inside the security area of the port were very pushy and almost rude. Heaven forbid we glanced in their direction and didn't pay them for the privilege of looking.

More Ocho Rios Reviews Ocho Rios Port Profile Ocho Rios Forum
Grand Cayman
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

We negotiated with a driver for an Island Tour for $15pp. It was a kind of weak tour. "Tour includes....." meant "the bus will pass and will pull over so that you can see ...." Not exactly what I expected. Our stop in Hell was rushed. When we pulled away, I was disappointed to see that we didn't stop at the official post office, but a store next to it. (Not sure if we missed anything, but felt like we didn't get the full experience).
We next stopped at Dolphin Cove. We all really wanted to swim with the Dolphins but my budget couldn't afford 4 x $100+ for the experience. You can go there and watch others for free. A worker there offered us a deal - 1 x experience for $35 or 2 x for $45, both included a cd with their photographer's pictures. We could pick from a list including two dolphin pull, kiss, and a few others. This was too good to pass up, so I got our things out of the van and told the driver thanks but see ya! It was awesome. The guy told us this is something new they have recently started. We took the public bus back to the port area.
We then went to snorkel at Eden Rock. SO easy to get to! From what I had heard, it was a great spot. It was a bit of a let down. Who knows if it was the weather, the time of day, or the slightly rough waters. But there weren't many fish to be seen We were exhausted, so after only 20-30 min we headed back to the ship.

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Key West
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

We decided to do the Hop On/ Hop Off trolley. City View company had representatives right as you got off the ship and I loved that the tickets could be charged back to the room. We went around the complete circle once. And then decided what we wanted to go back to. Do not do this. We wasted probably an hour. We did get off and spent about an hour at the Eco Discovery Center. This is a very informational free activity that gives you interesting information about the Eco systems both above and below the waters. We then went to the southern most point. Get here EARLY or you will have to wait in line. He had lunch at Sloppy Joe's, and did some shopping. Don't go back to the ship without having tried a piece of frozen key lime pie on a stick.

More Key West Reviews Key West Port Profile Key West Forum