Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > beatcop49's Port Reviews of Grand Turk, La Romana (Casa de Campo), Curacao, Aruba

Carnival Breeze cruise in March 2014
Member Name: beatcop49
Cruise Date: March 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: beatcop49's Carnival Breeze Review
Grand Turk
Island Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

Small island. We took a taxi to Cockburn Town. Not much to see there...a few local rum bars and eateries if you like to try local food. The port center is where we spent most of the time. Plenty of shopping there, and the largest Margaritaville in the world. I had a "Cheeseburger in Paradise"....always good food. The beaches are nice, but can get crowded quick...especially if more than one cruise ship is in port. There is also a John Glenn/Mercury 7 display there, as John Glenn splashed down near Grand Turk after being the first American to orbit the earth.

Grand Turk is nice, but probably my least favorite port of this cruise....and I'm sure there is more to see than I saw. Just not enough time....

More Grand Turk Reviews Grand Turk Port Profile Grand Turk Forum
La Romana (Casa de Campo)
Altos de Chavon Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

Would have liked a little more time to explore here, but I do understand the ship's schedule. Our excursion was Altos de Chavon, with a side trip to the La Flor Cigar Factory. The cigar factory was very interesting....Altos de Chavon, not so much. It was a totally fabricated (old Spanish/Italian)village with shops and restaurants. The shops were lacking in product. We did have a nice meal at Onno's Bar...really liked that part. Our guide wasn't the best....all he wanted to do was brag about how Elton John sang there in the amphitheater several years ago....I might would have liked it better had our guide been better. I wish we had taken a city tour.

More La Romana (Casa de Campo) Reviews La Romana (Casa de Campo) Port Profile La Romana (Casa de Campo) Forum
Curacao
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

We opted to just do our own "walking tour" of Willemstad, Curacao. Very beautiful place....lots of shopping and eateries. The "Walking Bridge" was really cool...not like anything I have seen before, and there are several draw bridges where I am from. Heavy Dutch influence here. I would recommend walking across the bridge to the Dutch side...use the ferry service if the bridge is open for shipping traffic. This stop was my wife's birthday...we had planned on having a nice birthday dinner for her and watching the sun go down. We were told, by a crew member about a certain restaurant. When we arrived, it was having some kitchen problems. Luckily for us, a staff person from Scampi's was there to guide us to their restaurant. We were served our drinks....first drinks were free...that's right, free!! Unheard of!!. We both ordered Surf and Turf...nice filet and shrimp. Expertly and perfectly cooked. This is an open air restaurant with a perfect view of the sunset, and our ship, The Carnival Breeze in the background. Extremely courteous staff. Highly recommend this place for your evening meal in Curacao...you will not regret it. As the sun goes down, the ship lights up....spectacular view!!

More Curacao Reviews Curacao Port Profile Curacao Forum
Aruba
Island Tour Rating: Not Rated

Probably our favorite port. Our plans were to shop a bit, then go to a beach. Shopping took a little longer than expected, so we opted to take a 2 hour island tour on an open air party bus. It was 20 US per person. Made several stops, including a bathroom/snack break at a local convenience store. The bus stopped at California Lighthouse and Palm Beach, if you wanted to swim...beautiful, stark white, powdery sandy beach. We were pushed for time at this point, so we skipped the beach. Still, a nice way to see the island. It surprised me as to how arid a climate Aruba has....I was expecting a lush, green tropical setting...not so. Its very dry. Reminds me of Arizona surrounded by the ocean.

If you are shopping for jewelry or watches, I recommend Sean Jewelers, https://www.facebook.com/seanpauljewelers ....ask anyone where it is. Very good prices and service...By the way, I get no kickback. They're just good people.

More Aruba Reviews Aruba Port Profile Aruba Forum