Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > walmar8416's Port Reviews of Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin

Carnival Spirit cruise in February 2013
Member Name: walmar8416
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Member Review: walmar8416's Carnival Spirit Review
Auckland
Devonport Walking Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Great tour, bus driver was very entertaining and very helpful to elderly Mum and her walker. Had been to Devonport before but gave a great tour of the North Shore I had not need. We were then able to stroll around Devonport and they also provided a Ferry ticket back to Auckland.

More Auckland Reviews Auckland Port Profile Auckland Forum
Tauranga
Geothermal Springs Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Great trip, Bus Driver very informative and entertaining. Cruise and lunch on Lake Rotoroua was great. We were then taken to Hells Gate Thermal Park. Did a short walk with Mum on her walker then she was invited to sit in the shade at the Hukka area while the rest of us went further out. I was glad as Mum did get a look at the thermal area but should would not have been able to go further. Then at the end we were escorted back by one of the Rangers to make sure she got back to the bus OK. Overall a great introduction to Rotora.

More Tauranga Reviews Tauranga Port Profile Tauranga Forum
Napier
City Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Took the Duck which gave an excellent introduction to Napier. The ship was greated by cars and people in Art Deco area costumes. Sister and I then went into the city. Loved Napier such a beautiful city. When the ship left we were serenaded by a barbershop band.

More Napier Reviews Napier Port Profile Napier Forum
Wellington
Port Rating: Not Rated

We did our own thing in Wellington, TePapa and the Cable Car. Thoroughly enjoyed the day.

More Wellington Reviews Wellington Port Profile Wellington Forum
Christchurch
Punting on the Avon River Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

This was the saddest part of the Trip. Had previously spent time in Christchurch pre earthquake but was not prepared to see the city centre totally gone. Anyway we did the winery tour, where we stopped for lunch, very enjoyable. Then taken into Christchurch, firstly for a tour of the Gardens and then for a ride on the Punt. Going down the Avon you could not see the destruction so very peaceful and enjoyable (apart from having trouble getting off the punt. (I do have to make note that the company was advised of my Mum and her walker and they arranged a chair for her, I do compliment the cruise line and tour people for their thoughtfulness). We Christchurch going past the city centre (which does not exist anymore) I shed quite a few tears over that, remembers places we had been which no longer existed.

Did notice that Akaroa where the ship docked was quite festive, with craft markets etc for the passengers.

I do have to admit that I would have loved to go on the Arthurs Pass excursion, which was offered as a tour but when we got to the tour desk discovered it was not offered. I imagine they had some hiccups with the Travel people, but this was the inaugral cruise so some hiccups could be expected, hope they offered it on future cruises as it is a great way to see the hinterland and spectacular scenery of the south island.

More Christchurch Reviews Christchurch Port Profile Christchurch Forum
Dunedin
Taieri Gorge Railway Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Took the Taieri Gorge Railway, thoroughly recommend it. Lovely morning tea and lunch. and stop at wonderful Craft Market that only comes out for the Cruise Ships.

My sister and I went into Dunedin for a look while Mum took the train back to the Ship.

When it left it was lovely to sit on the balcony and listen to the Pipe band playing as we sailed away.

More Dunedin Reviews Dunedin Port Profile Dunedin Forum