Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > tzjy1j's Port Reviews of Grand Turk, La Romana (Casa de Campo), Curacao, Aruba

tzjy1j's Port Reviews of Grand Turk, La Romana (Casa de Campo), Curacao, Aruba
Carnival Breeze cruise in March 2014
Member Name: tzjy1j
Cruise Date: March 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: tzjy1j's Carnival Breeze Review
Grand Turk
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Grand Turk - We went here on our last cruise and did a stingray excursion (worth it), so this time we just spent time on the beach before heading to Margaritaville. The island is small, not much for shopping or a "downtown" area, so the beach and Margaritaville are the main attractions. 7 hours was enough time to explore.

More Grand Turk Reviews Grand Turk Port Profile Grand Turk Forum
La Romana (Casa de Campo)
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+

La Romana, Dominican Republic - DO NOT leave the ship unless you book an excursion to someplace nicer, like Punta Cana. The bus will take you to La Romana and drop you off at a flea market where vendors will hound you relentlessly to buy their cheap crap. I don't like to haggle or be pressured into buying anything. I want to browse at my own pace and shop where I feel comfortable. These guys were too in-your-face for me. I even heard that they put a necklace on one lady, without asking, then made her pay for it when she didn't even want it. Even if I would have liked to shop, I couldn't stand being there more than 2 minutes. We tried to walk around and explore the town on our own, but it didn't feel safe. There were guards with shotguns standing outside every bank. Most businesses were closed and ones that were open looked run-down, poor, and disgusting. We only spent about 30 minutes in town before hopping on a bus back to port. From there we got another bus ticket to the town of Altos, which was much better. It was pretty, clean, and had better shops and restaurants. You only need a few hours to see the whole place though. We were back on the ship early. This was the only port that I felt like it was a wasted stop. I wish we would have booked an excursion to make it worth it.

More La Romana (Casa de Campo) Reviews La Romana (Casa de Campo) Port Profile La Romana (Casa de Campo) Forum
Curacao
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Curacao - Beautiful!! Very walkable, tons of shopping, safe, clean. We took a cab out to Mambo Beach which had more shopping and bars along the boardwalk. Then we came back for dinner in town and bar-hopped back to the boat. You don't need an excursion here. It was a pretty island to explore easily on your own.

More Curacao Reviews Curacao Port Profile Curacao Forum
Aruba
Jeep Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Aruba - We booked a Jeep tour, which was a good way to see the whole island. You don't get to stop long at each spot, but you didn't need much time to see everything either. It's a small island and you can get a good feel for it from the tour. We had time afterwards to eat lunch and do some shopping on our own in town.

More Aruba Reviews Aruba Port Profile Aruba Forum