Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > AlaskainJuly's Port Reviews of Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

AlaskainJuly's Port Reviews of Princess Cays, St. Thomas, St. Maarten
Royal Princess cruise in February 2014
Member Name: AlaskainJuly
Cruise Date: February 2014
Member Review: AlaskainJuly's Royal Princess Review
Princess Cays
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Our first port of call was Princess Cays. It was very relaxed. We had reserved the use of a paddle board and an aquacycle online but there seemed to be plenty of equipment if you wanted to rent anything on the spot. We didn't have any problem finding loungers in the shade. There were plenty of places to park your towels and you could choose a sunnier spot if you wanted. The buffet was good barbeque-style food. They even had hand sanitizers here on land--which I appreciated.

More Princess Cays Reviews Princess Cays Port Profile Princess Cays Forum
St. Thomas
Eco Tour Rating: Not Rated

This was our first excursion on any cruise so we were very excited and arrived early to meet the tour. We needn't have bothered to rush! For others who haven't taken a tour before: I believe the guides want to be sure they have everyone before they leave, so don't stress if you are running a little late. We took a typical island taxi, which is a converted truck with covered, open air benches-quite comfortable, to the EcoTour kayak launch point. There we met our ecotour guides and the trip photographer, learned about kayaking technique, saw the merchandise, and were given snorkeling equipment. We had an opportunity to change and use the facilities before we headed to the kayaks. There is a little sheltered area where you can practice paddling before the group heads into the mangrove preserve. Kayaking against the wind is a little strenuous but there is a break about half way through to learn more about the mangroves. We arrived at the hiking spot, took a break for water and to race land snails (my son thought that was pretty fun) and then walked around a point to learn a little of the history of the cove. We spent the remainder of the time snorkeling before we had to kayak back and meet our bus. The guides pointed out interesting fish and areas we might want to explore. I thought the tour was very well organized and enjoyable!

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

I wanted to do the SeaTrek Helmet Diving excursion and signed up online before the cruise. When we got to our room the first day we had to fill out a health form for this excursion and I indicated that I had asthma (just diagnosed last year), turns out, they don't want you down even just twenty feet if you have a lung condition, so I had to sit that one out. Princess canceled the excursion for me with no problem.--I definitely recommend booking your excursions on their website before you cruise. You can cancel up to a day or two before if you change your mind (the cutoff is posted on the ship), and you know if you have a place without waiting in line (since the Excursions Desk isn't open 24hrs a day).
We had also prebooked a trip to Orient Beach with drinks included. When we got there, I sat with our stuff while everyone else went for a walk; when I finally got in the water--what a wonderful surprise! I'm used to water temps about ten degrees colder than what we had so it felt marvelous. My son and I had a blast body surfing! I'm glad there were showers to rinse the sand and salt off before reboarding the bus, but even so, I sent a glob of sand down the drain in our room--sorry Princess Cruises! Our tour guide and bus driver were very funny and informative.
I also enjoyed walking around Philipsburg. One store had really good watch prices. We found an open air market with lots of hats and other clothing items. People were willing to bargain up to a point. And I bought a club soda for $2 and relaxed with "free" internet for over an hour.
St. Maarten was a very enjoyable port.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum