Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > dive4pam's Port Reviews of St. Thomas, Nevis, Dominica, Barbados, St. Maarten

dive4pam's Port Reviews of St. Thomas, Nevis, Dominica, Barbados, St. Maarten
Celebrity Equinox cruise in January 2014
Member Name: dive4pam
Cruise Date: January 2014
Member Review: dive4pam's Celebrity Equinox Review
St. Thomas
Sailing Rating: Not Rated

Loved this sail all day long to St. John's and honeymoon beach. Our captain kept us out of foreboding weather and gave us an excellent BBQ's onboard lunch with homemade drinks that were great! Even a margarita which is unheard of on excursions. I am so tired of bad rum punch on ship's excursions that I always ask for water. This sail was great. No more than 6 people go on the jester and there is plenty of room for R&R on the boat. I love the fact that music was in the background, not the foreground and we met some great folks on the cruise as well. Honeymoon beach was stunning and not crowded because the hoards do not go there.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
Nevis
Port Rating: Not Rated

The tour was nice, not great and we did not go to one of the main places we thought we were going because the owner of the plantation did not want us there that day. Our driver said nothing about it until someone asked if we were going there and then he told us no. We took the ferry over to Nevis form St. Kitts where our ship had docked for the day. We spent the rest of the time in a van. We went to a beach restaurant called "lime" that had unimpressive food, rum punch, and then off to the lovely beach which actually was the best part of the day. I would not do this tour again. Instead I would take the ferry to the beach and skip the "tour" of the island/plantation.

More Nevis Reviews Nevis Port Profile Nevis Forum
Dominica
Port Rating: Not Rated

This is a beautiful island. My husband and I elected to go to one of the few black sand beaches and park ourselves for the afternoon. The food was dictated by the taxi driver who steered us to "his section" of the beach. Later we saw all of the taxi drivers eating at the restaurant while they waited to take us back to the beach (at that same lame restaurant). Let's face it, Caribbean on island food is not very good and that is why cruises are so appealing! The island had a lot of nature tours offered by the ship and many on trip adviser. I had a very hard time getting anyone to email me back but if it hadn't been so last minute I would have loved a nice interior private tour. the beach was nice and 2 chairs and umbrella cost 12.50 for the day

More Dominica Reviews Dominica Port Profile Dominica Forum
Barbados
Beach Break Rating: Not Rated

One of my favorite islands. We went off to a beach (Accra) for the day and enjoyed a lovely beach day. Wow I guess we sound boring reading this review but this was our 5th time to Barbados and we love the pink sand beaches- there are so many of them that we just wanted an full day of beach. It was one of the highlights of our trip. For $20 RT we had a great time and a great taxi driver by the name of BArry who was there to pick us up at the appointed time. There was a constant flow of taxis anyway if he had not showed up.

More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Ok, so I thought I would shop for pearls in Phillipsburg. In truth, I don't trust most of the shops in Phillipsburg since I was ripped off several years ago for perfume that was not as bottled. I think since you can order internationally direct from Japan, etc, its not worth taking the risk that what you buy in St. Maarten (or anywhere else that is duty free) might be a knock off. The islands are no longer my place to buy jewels as it was 20 years ago.
So, after a couple of frustrating hours of "negotiating" with pushy sales clerks asking me why I didn't buy their merchandise, I gave up and parked out front on the beach whereupon I had free internet and the ability to shop for pearls direct form the source thereby not wasting beach time in stores with obnoxious, pushy store clerks.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum