Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Trvlr37's Port Reviews of Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport

Trvlr37's Port Reviews of Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport
Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: Trvlr37's Carnival Pride Review
Port Canaveral
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+

We have been to Port Canaveral before and it is a embarkation/disembarkation port. However, as a port of call, it was a quite lacking. There is nothing nearby to see or do where the ship docks. You either have to take a shore tour or cab to do anything from here. We have already done Disney and the theme parks as well as the Space Center. Still, we decided to take a cab into Cocoa Beach. They only had one cab company providing service and they herded us with others from the ship to central locations for a set fee. I wanted to visit the Cocoa Beach pier and they dropped us off across the street from Ron Jon's. We had already been to Cocoa Beach/Ron Jon's on other trips - as we walked further we discovered the pier was still quite a distance from our cab dropoff. The weather looked like it might rain at any minute, therefore, we just walked to the beach and walked around Ron Jon's (it was cold, but people were still swimming) and just walked back to our cab pickup point. I was disappointed we didn't get to the Cocoa Beach Pier, but we will do that again on another trip when we don't have to walk it ourselves. It was a $24 cab ride, but we really didn't get to see anything other than a crowded beach with others from our cruiseship (where they seemed to herd everyone) and a bunch of shops. I think it might have been better had we rented a car that day.

More Port Canaveral Reviews Port Canaveral Port Profile Port Canaveral Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

We walked off the ship and found a cab driver who took us on a nice tour of Nassau for only $25 per person. We got to see some things we had never seen in Nassau before (a fort and a neat staircase built out of rock) and he then took us to Atlantis and dropped us off at Junkanoo beach that I had read about on the boards. Junkanoo beach was nothing special except a small strip of beach by the ship. It was very windy the day we were in Nassau, but I don't think I would visit Junkanoo beach myself again even on a good weather day. It wasn't the beautiful Bahamian beach I thought it would be. The view from the beach was nice, though, but too small and a bit dirty for my tastes. There were lots of bars nearby, though.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum
Freeport
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

We had the best weather of the cruise for our day in Freeport. We really enjoyed this port and I would love to go back there again. There was a large local market as you disembarked the ship with lots of local things to see. We walked a ways to a restaurant nearby that feeds sharks and got to see some sharks in the water and had a drink there. The restaurant was nearly deserted, but the views/scenery were beautiful. There was also a small patch of beach there, but I wouldn't swim with all the sharks nearby! It was a lovely day, though, and we surely enjoyed the sunshine. Our ship was only in port until 2:00 p.m., so we didn't have enough time there to explore much further. Next time we go to Freeport, we will take a cab into town, but even the port area was a good way to spend a few hours.

More Freeport Reviews Freeport Port Profile Freeport Forum