Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > marlenegoesbyebye's Port Reviews of St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Samana and Cayo Levantado

Norwegian Gem cruise in December 2013
Member Name: marlenegoesbyebye
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Member Review: marlenegoesbyebye's Norwegian Gem Review
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

When we got there we had to spray bug spray due to the mosquitos being sick some weird chichenago worse than denge fever so please bring deet and spray yourself otherwise you could get sick,,,

It was nicer for me on the Dutch side than the French side, the stores are pretty good and I bought a dress, swim suit and a really nice pair of shoes end of the strip they have nice things from Italy and France. I did not buy jewelry there the prices are ok not great.
I did do an excursion do not even bother it was the beach bash over priced and the drinks were only rum punch and it was watered down. It cost me over $100 not great boring destination very crowded beach, very expensive Orient bay the waves were very large, and hard to swim in. Umbrellas extra in fact everything was extra.
If I went back I would only do the Dutch side the beach is right beside the dock.
The tour guide on the way back bad mouthed the Dutch side and called it the bad side, offensive to some people on the bus. You could barely understand her speaking.
It was a small tired destination not my favorite. Looks worn out,,,

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: Not Rated

Went to Magen,s bay by taxi took around 25 minutes and it only cost $12 each way with my son. Otherwise you pay for the bus from the ship it is an excursion for more money the taxi service is great there. My taxi driver is named Emile A King his phone number is 1340-690 0706 cell he came back for us and is very honorable and loyal and on time. His taxi is clean and he is knowledgeable and will get you there and back on time for the ship. My friends paid much more for the bus and it was far cheaper to do it this way. It costs an additional $4 dollars to get into the beach per person.The beach is beautiful, less people and the drinks and food are reasonable. I did not want to get out of the water we were there, from lunchtime on till we had to leave..it is clean.
Loved St Thomas I can say I even had a miracle happen to me. I left early in the morning and kinda of got lost going through that mall it opens only at 10 am so I finally found myself on the street looking for a taxi to go to town, and to my horror I realized that I had not cashed in my travelers check on board. I hailed a taxi and asked how much to town ,they pick up alot of people. A wonderful family was on the taxi and when I said to the taxi driver if he could take me to a bank so I could cash in my check the man who was part of this wonderful family said to me get on girl I will pay for you do not worry, I am happy that I have been blessed with wealth, we are from Texas...just pay it forward. That $4 seemed like a million to me so I say thank you stranger ,and I have made a donation to a drug rehabilitation program in kindness.
Just a warning to all women get ready St Thomas has the best jewelery shopping bar none. I bought a beautiful bracelet from Royal Jewelers ship recommended. The price was right and it is a beauty ask for Sam. His service is great and he is patient it is a quality piece lots of diamonds there, your eyes will pop and it is diamond heaven..sigh. I loved St Thomas if I had not gotten lost in that stupid mall I would of done more things o well next trip.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum