Member Reviews

Embarkation: New Orleans
Member Review: innola's Carnival Elation Review
Progreso
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Progreso is a nice little Mexican town with a quaint plaza, a nice local crafts market and some friendly, locally-owned restaurants along the malecon fronting the beach. It's very different from some of the other overdeveloped ports, which really appeals to me. I plan to go back there to spend a few days in the near future. Despite some other reviews here, I would strongly encourage people to get off the ship and see it while it's still relatively unspoiled.

This trip, we hired a taxi for part of the day and drove to Merida, which was wonderful. The city is just beautiful. The architecture is magnificent. There's a lush green plaza with colorful flowers fronted by an ancient cathedral. Shopping for guayaberas and other linen clothing is excellent, and there are lots of restaurants offering all types of cuisine, not just Mayan/Mexican (though that's what we ate, and loved it). I would definitely go back.

More Progreso Reviews Progreso Port Profile Progreso Forum
Cozumel
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Cozumel is a really busy port now, but I still love it. We rented a Jeep and drove to the eastern side of the island, which is so pretty and peaceful, for a couple of hours. There are several nice little beachfront restaurants over there. My favorites are Chen Rios and Playa Bonita, but I am not at all a fan of Coconuts, which is just a little raunchy for my taste (though many people do love it). We spent a lot of the afternoon at Paradise Beach, which was really pleasant. Because we were pressed for time, we were unable to hang out in the town, which is lovely. If you are shopping I highly recommend getting out of the shopping area at the pier and going to town. Selection, quality and prices are much better there, and there are lots of nice restaurants and bars there. One old favorite is Las Palmas, right by the ferry dock. Good food, good drinks, good people-watching.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum