Member Reviews

BryanTheBrewer's Port Reviews of King's Wharf,
Explorer of the Seas cruise in October 2013
Member Name: BryanTheBrewer
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Member Review: BryanTheBrewer's Explorer of the Seas Review
King's Wharf
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Note that the 2 day transportation pass must be used on concurrent days. Also, if you're just going to take the ferry back and forth to Hamilton or St George each day, it's a lot cheaper to just buy those tickets versus a pass. We got the pass, took the 4 ferries and 1 bus ride and we could have done it for $10 cheaper than buying the all-included pass.
If you're going to be traveling all over the island, then by all means, get the pass. For the first time visitors, you'll probably just visit the two larger areas I mentioned, so use the ferries and forget the whole bus fiasco. Some ship mates complained about rude bus drivers, we only went once and the woman was very very nice.
Speaking off- we did a lot of walking around Hamilton and we happened into a very bad area. Very run down. Far from tourists, shops, and police. We happened across a gang of rough men sitting around a convenience store. - - And they said hello and wished us an enjoyable vacation. I was expecting to at least be asked for money. If that scene had played out in America, I think the outcome would have been fairly dreadful.
The snorkeling was fun. I saw lots of fish including some huge parrot fish of multiple colors. Also some live fan coral and other amazing sea life. I had put my bag down and ants swarmed it without my noticing. When I put the bag on, they bit me mercifully. They are very small, fast, and angry! beware!! After an hour or so of painful itchiness, I was so desperate that I ripped off a piece of aloe that grows pretty much anywhere on the island and smeared it on my legs. The itching immediately stopped.
Everyone warns not to get a scooter. They're so dangerous! We didn't and let me tell you- being a pedestrian is FAR more dangerous than being on a scooter. Other than downtown, there's rarely sidewalks and the locals speed right by you on the already narrow streets. Heaven forbid you come across a bridge like we did- we decided to turn around and take a 15 minute detour than cross that bridge.
The last, partial, day in port- we stayed at the warf. Always a good idea to stay close to the ship. The fort was fun and all the little shops were nice to pass the time. The brewpub was ok. Being a beer geek, I'm a bit more critical. Half of their beers were good, the other half below average. Take note- the frog and onion has free, open WiFi. No need to purchase the wifi around the terminal. Just head to the pub, grab a beer, and update your facebook with sandy beaches and blue water. This was the only place on the island I found open wifi. I'm sure a few restaurants would give you their password, but that's a pain.

More King's Wharf Reviews King's Wharf Port Profile King's Wharf Forum