Member Reviews

Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: Qikese's Carnival Glory Review
Nassau
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

We went back to Adastra Gardens, Nassau's Zoo. We'd been there before, but were rushed the last time. This time we went earlier so it would be a more leisurely experience. We love this zoo. It doesn't have a ton of exhibits. As a matter of fact, a lot of them were even closed and under construction. But, there is the feel of the place that draws us both there. It's not like American zoos where we clear all the land and flatten it out and then make fake looking exhibits. These people will see a large tree and literally make a cage around it and put an exotic bird or two in it and viola!, there's your totally natural habitat efficiently and effectively made into an exhibit. The whole place is like a jungle maze and that's what we love, the feeling of being in a tropical jungle. We even found a quiet location with a bench in the middle of a jungle setting and just hung out there and relaxed, talked, and enjoyed the scenery for a while. We also had a blast feeding the lorakeets and watching the famous flamingo march. Many of the exhibits are of various colorful, and I believe tropical, birds. I'm a photographer, so I have a field day at this zoo because I'm able to take pictures that appear to be natural or taken out in the wild.

From Adastra, we walked down to Twin Brothers at the Fish Fry and each had an out of this world smoothie. Their smoothies are so much more flavorful than American Smoothies. The fruit taste is powerful and not at all processed tasting like ours in the states. We highly recommend these to anyone who visits the area.

After that, we ran into a local marching band on the walk back to the ship, paused to watch them for a bit, and then made our way back on board.

The ship was only docked in Nassau for one day, rather than it's usual two days. This didn't affect us too much as we've been to Nassau several times now, we've already done the Atlantis thing, the Senior Frogs thing, the horse and buggy tour through the city, etc. However, if it had been my first time there, I think that would have felt limiting. I always prefer overnight cruise ports because I like not having to worry about when I need to get back on the ship.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum
Freeport
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

The port of Freeport has improved dramatically. Years ago, there was nothing at all to get off the ship for at this port unless you were going to take an excursion or get in a cab and go somewhere. Now, there are a bunch of shops and vendors, a Senior Frogs, and even some courtyard entertainment and seating at the port itself.

Our time in Freeport was very limited (7 a.m. to 3 p.m.) and we're not early risers, so we chose not to go crazy trying to go anywhere this time, even though I would have liked to hit Taino Beach and would have happily done so had we been in port until 6 or 7 p.m. Note to Carnival: I really wish y'all would make port stays significantly longer for all your cruises. Nonetheless, we got off the ship for a couple of hours and just hung out, checked out the vendors, made a few small purchases, watched the courtyard band play for a bit, and had a pretty good little time for ourselves.

More Freeport Reviews Freeport Port Profile Freeport Forum