Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > bjrose's Port Reviews of Athens (Piraeus), Kusadasi, Istanbul, Mykonos, Naples

bjrose's Port Reviews of Athens (Piraeus), Kusadasi, Istanbul, Mykonos, Naples
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Member Review: bjrose's Royal Princess Review
Athens (Piraeus)
Acropolis Rating: 2.0 out of 5+

This was a difficult climb for anyone. The stones are slippery and dangerous. The Acropolis is an amazing sight that it even exists, but the repairs and the crowds will make me stay away forever now.

The Plaka Walking Tour Rating: 1.0 out of 5+

Not to our liking. The tour guide didn't interest us at all. The climbing at the Acropolis with all the construction going on was a nightmare. It seemed very disorganized and hard to hear the lady. The city was in turmoil with strikers shutting down the streets. We didn't feel welcome there at all. The Plaka is not like it used to be. Overpriced items and shopkeepers not as friendly as I had remembered from the 90's. We ate in a Taverna recommended by the guide, and I personally got food poisoning. I returned to the ship with great pain and new what it was from the moment I ate the late lunch. I had to rest that whole evening in bed to recover.

More Athens (Piraeus) Reviews Athens (Piraeus) Port Profile Athens (Piraeus) Forum
Kusadasi
Celsus Library Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

Most important and worthwhile experience from the Roman era.

House of the Virgin Mary Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

This is a place where the Virgin Mary supposedly spent her last days. It is a place of tranquility and of prayer. It is a wonderful visit and one should do it for the spiritual value.

Terrace Houses Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

We had a group of 8 people booked privately. The tour covered everything we wanted to see again. We had been there 17 yrs ago, so this was a different experience. Ephesus is a must-see for everyone. And "Mary's House" is a place to visit for spiritual value. We had been to the Basilica of St John on our last visit which is why we by-passed it this time. Our tourguide was a sweet, young lady with great hopes for Turkey.

More Kusadasi Reviews Kusadasi Port Profile Kusadasi Forum
Istanbul
Blue Mosque Rating: 2.0 out of 5+

After hearing so much about the Blue Mosque, I was disappointed. The people there were very rude and really didn't want us. The building itself was interesting but so was San Marcos with the beautiful mosaics in Venice! Don't bother, people.

Grand Bazaar Rating: 1.0 out of 5+

I thought this place was disgusting with nothing but junk to buy. The merchants were so rude to us, in fact. One said, "you Americans should go back home. Don't buy here. We don't want you." And, we were with 2 others and we hadn't said a word! It was most disconcerting and upsetting. It is so dirty over there and not somewhere I would ever buy anything.

Hagia Sofia Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

This is a must-see in Istanbul but not something I would return to.

Topkapi Walking Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

The tour guide was knowledgeable and thorough but the city is not somewhere I would return to. It was very dirty and overcrowded and gave me a bad feeling.

Underground Cistern Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

The Cisterns were interesting, but again, not a place I would return to. It is always interesting to see how those of the past lived.

More Istanbul Reviews Istanbul Port Profile Istanbul Forum
Mykonos
Port Rating: Not Rated

We think Mykonos is beautiful but so overcrowded with tourists and more. the other side is prettier with the beach. But,for us as we live somewhere warm, it really didn't matter. We walked around and looked in shops. Nothing much to buy at any decent rates. This was my last time there after visiting three times before.

More Mykonos Reviews Mykonos Port Profile Mykonos Forum
Naples
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

Naples is a busy city but very dirty. We took the Hop On Hop Off bus and did enjoy the sights, but we chose not to get off. The one place we wanted to enter was closed that Tuesday. The flies are everywhere there and they are digging to build their Metro. It was an absolute mess! One can take a boat to Capri, Amalfi or Sorrento and that is the only reason to visit Naples.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum