Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > cb1968's Port Reviews of Aarhus, Helsinki, Stockholm, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Berlin

Emerald Princess cruise in August 2013
Member Name: cb1968
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Member Review: cb1968's Emerald Princess Review
Aarhus
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+

We arrived on a Sunday and not much is open. I don't know what excursions are available as we generally don't take them, but if you walk in don't expect to see much.

More Aarhus Reviews Aarhus Port Profile Aarhus Forum
Helsinki
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Helsinki is also easily explored inexpensively by public transit. Purchase a day pass for 8 Euros from the bus driver at the stop right next to the port. I recommend printing out a transit map before arriving. It makes it easier to plan where you want to go without getting on the wrong bus or tram (like we did).

More Helsinki Reviews Helsinki Port Profile Helsinki Forum
Stockholm
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Stockholm is another great port of call. Walking to town is not obtrusive; it was only marred by President Obama's visit causing sections of the city to be closed off depending on where his motorcade was. My wife mentioned that she would like to come back and really see the city.

More Stockholm Reviews Stockholm Port Profile Stockholm Forum
Tallinn
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

Tallinn is also a interesting place to see with things off the beaten path to explore and see. We walked to the old abandoned prison and for 2 Euros you can see what life was like in a Soviet prison. Glad I was on this side of the iron curtain. We also went to the Seaplane museum with the only WWII British built sub I have ever seen. The old town is very attractive, my wife enjoyed exploring it.

More Tallinn Reviews Tallinn Port Profile Tallinn Forum
St. Petersburg
Hermitage Museum Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Must see but incredibly busy. Make sure to see the gold room.

Russian Folk Dance Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

Interesting

More St. Petersburg Reviews St. Petersburg Port Profile St. Petersburg Forum
Berlin
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Wernemunde is the port for Berlin. I would not recommend taking the trip there though. It is a long journey there and you would only see a snippet of the city. It is best seen on a separate trip so you can explore the city over a few days or even a week. I would take the train to see Rostock instead. It only costs a few Euros and is a very interesting medieval city.

More Berlin Reviews Berlin Port Profile Berlin Forum
Oslo
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Oslo was a great port of call with lots to see and do. The best way to see the city is on public transit with a one day pass and museum entrance ticket. It is 216 Norwegian Kroner ($38) per person and will get you into everything you could possibly want to see.

More Oslo Reviews Oslo Port Profile Oslo Forum