Member Reviews

Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: floridageek's Carnival Sensation Review
Freeport
Kayaking Rating: 5+ out of 5+

We did the Kayaking and Nature tour. It was fantastic despite the rain towards the end of the tour. Sam, our guide, was friendly and entertaining. We took a bus to the Lucayan National Forest while he talked about the history of the island. The only part I DID NOT LIKE was that we got pulled over by some shading looking guy in a white car on a deserted road. This guy was lost and angry and when we stopped he got out of his car and walked over to the driver's door. This make us very uncomfortable. Being in a foreign country and knowing that the Bahamas has a crime problem, I thought we were in the making of a "I shouldn't be alive" episode and the guy might pull a gun on us or something. Fortunately it was just some angry guy and after Sam gave directions he pulled away and tried to lighten the mood by making some jokes. The bus ride was about 30min. Arriving at the launch site, we took kayaks down a very gentle creek lined with beautiful mangroves. The water was clear and we could see fish and ancient fossilized oyster beds. After the kayaking we took a "Tom Sawyer" raft across the river to a short hiking trail head that took us to a beach and picnic area where he had a light lunch. Unfortunately this is when it started to rain quite hard but a lot of folks didn't care. We swam in the beautiful blue ocean water anyway. We stated here for about an hour and a half then took a scenic route through the trails when the rain stopped and Sam explained some of the local wildlife and fauna and let us feed some fish in the creek. Then he took us on a drive through Freeport and showed us around town then took us back to the ship. Overall a very great time!

More Freeport Reviews Freeport Port Profile Freeport Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+

Get ready for some culture shock! We planned on exploring the town ourselves before arriving. The night before arriving we received a warning letter in our stateroom saying Nassau is pretty dangerous. This made me very uneasy but we already decided to go exploring. If you want to go exploring Nassau I would highly advise that you travel in large groups and stay close to the tourist areas and busy streets. Do NOT go on the other side of the hill (where the fort and queens stairs are located). For my LGBT friends, Nassau is not LGBT friendly. I observed several natives staring hard core at my partner and I at times and not in a pleasant way. Mostly this was just on the streets while going from location to location and made me very uncomfortable. I felt ok once we got inside a bar or something. Every now and then you do run in to some very nice people (the lady at the historic library and the server at the pirate bar were exceptional). If you get lost only ask directions from a police officer. When we asked locals on the street we got very different directions to the same location each time (obviously they were trying to mislead us). Trust your gut and if a person or street looks shady stay clear of it.

Traffic is crazy. There's a lack of stop signs and traffic lights and people just drive around like they want honking and yelling. It's very aggressive. If you're from the US, don't forget traffic comes from the other direction because they drive on the left side of the road like the brits.

The straw market and tourist area right by the ship is overwhelming with the most pushy and aggressive sales people I've ever seen in my life. They make a point to call you out and drag you over to their booth and start shoving things you don't want down your throat. When you politely decline you don't want it some of the vendors got angry and a small few even yelled at us. Vendors will barter and if you do buy something make sure you have EXACT CHANGE! They will pretend to not have change to get a few extra bucks out of you. Very shady!

We did manage to check out the art museum which was nice and found a hidden resort next door which was beautiful. They have a pizza, chocolate, and cigar shop there as well and the pizza was delicious. Being a resort though it was very expensive. The people here were friendly except for one gardener who would not let me use the restroom for no reason and kept telling us to turn around and go out the front entrance. I don't think he wanted us there.

I have no desire to go back to Nassau. If for whatever reason I find myself there again, I will get a taxi right off the ship and go to Atlantis or some beach near it to get away from all the crazies. Our dinner companions said they went to a beach near Atlantis and played volleyball all day and were not bothered. This probably would have been the better choice.

Overall this was quite an experience I'll never forget.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum