Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > jlajr's Port Reviews of Portland (Maine), Saint John (New Brunswick), Halifax, Sydney (Australia)

Carnival Glory cruise in July 2013
Member Name: jlajr
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Canada & New England
Member Review: jlajr's Carnival Glory Review
Portland (Maine)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

I went with my family - via a rather expensive taxi ride - to the Portland Head Light. Again, it was warm and clear, so doing this and walking around the area there was quite enjoyable. After the taxi ride back to the port, we split up: My sister, nephew, and mother went to lunch at a restaurant on the water, and my father and I had chowda at a more casual place nearby, Gilbert's. Think chowda served in styrofoam, not porcelain.

More Portland (Maine) Reviews Portland (Maine) Port Profile Portland (Maine) Forum
Saint John (New Brunswick)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

My sister and nephew went on the zipline near the Reversing Rapids (aka Reversing Falls) in Saint John. They had a blast, but at $100 per person, it just wasn't worth it for me. Plus, I'm afraid of heights. My parents and I watched them. We rented a car from Enterprise, which was not the greatest of experiences. They made us wait a long time for them to pick us up at the port terminal. They also did not have a car for us at the office closest to the terminal, so they drove us to the industrial area of town about 15 minutes away, and then gave us a "free" upgrade from a compact to a large SUV.

When I pointed out that the "free" upgrade would cost us more in gas money, they gave us a discount on the gas. So, we got going a little late, and we wanted to see if we could watch my sister and nephew on the zipline, so all we really had time to do was go to the Reversing Rapids, and eat at Wendy's. There aren't any Wendy's where I live, so I enjoyed having an original Frosty. I only realized after I ordered that they now have different types of Frostys. The weather again was warm and clear, so it was lovely going to the Reversing Rapids observation area and spending a couple of hours at nearby Fallsview Park, where the zipline was.

More Saint John (New Brunswick) Reviews Saint John (New Brunswick) Port Profile Saint John (New Brunswick) Forum
Halifax
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

The first fog of the cruise, bag pipes and a drummer welcomed us to Halifax.

We spent time at and near the Harbourwalk, which was right next to where the ship docked, including visiting the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and its Titanic exhibit. My father and nephew went on the HMS Sackville, docked nearby. Then we split up: my parents went off on their own, and my sister, nephew, and I walked around together. They had seen a place to rent Segways, so they did that for about 10 minutes, and then we had a tasty lunch at Waterfront Warehouse. My sister, who lives in the Florida Keys, had a selection of oysters and was thrilled.

More Halifax Reviews Halifax Port Profile Halifax Forum
Sydney (Australia)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Note: This review is of Sydney, Nova Scotia, which was not an option to select when I submitted it.

Some people, including members of my own family and one of the comedians on board, negatively characterize Sydney, Nova Scotia, as boring. That bugs me a little. It is not difficult to find activities to keep you busy for eight or so hours in and around Sydney, Nova Scotia, if that's what you want. I appreciate when a small town makes an effort to accommodate me, my 3,000 fellow cruisers, and the 110,000-gross ton ship on which we arrive. And while some dismiss walking around town and meeting the locals as "boring", I prefer doing that than doing something that has no connection to the area, its inhabitants, or its history - just to keep busy.

More Sydney (Australia) Reviews Sydney (Australia) Port Profile Sydney (Australia) Forum