Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Wendylet's Port Reviews of Dubrovnik,, Naples, Rome (Civitavecchia), Florence (Livorno)

Carnival Sunshine cruise in July 2013
Member Name: Wendylet
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: Wendylet's Carnival Sunshine Review
Dubrovnik
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

We did our own thing here and walked the wall as well as we took the cable car up Mount Srg. It was definitely hoton the wall but the views were breathtaking especially on the water side. Once we started hitting land we decided to exit the wall and we found we were very close to the entrance to the cable car. The line for the cable car was very long and the heat unrelenting but we stuck it out. Entrance to the wall and the cable car can be put on a credit card as they do not take euros. Be careful though that should you want something small, like a bottle of water, you will need their Kuna to do it. We stopped at a nice place we passed on the walk up to the cable car for lunch and it was wonderful. Nice, shady spot and we enjoyed our pizza lunch very much. Fortunately they took a credit card. Everything in this town is very close and walkable so I don't really feel it would be worth it to do an excursion here if the wall and cable car are what you are after.

More Dubrovnik Reviews Dubrovnik Port Profile Dubrovnik Forum
Naples
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Pompeii is an extremely huge site to try and visit in the short period of time that the cruise allows you. The last time I was in Naples we did the Archaeological Museum which we found extremely interesting. This time we thought we would like to actually see Pompeii. It takes a long time by train to get to Naples so you have to consider that into your day. Also, traveling back you don't want to miss the last scheduled train so you have to allow for that. Transportation really takes a chunk of time out of your day there. We expected to see more than what we got to see while we were there. They do provide you with a map upon entering but it proves very difficult to find the actual street signs you are on to locate where you are. More than once we hoped to find a particular location and found that we never did as we had already gone by it without realizing. There is stuff written about various locations but it is small and easily overlooked. The weather was scorching while we were there and there is very little shade unless you head to the very edge of the location which is a fair walk. They do have lots of accessible water as you go through so refill your water bottles often! It was definitely worth seeing but you really could use more time in which to do it than a cruiseport often allows.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

again, Rome is a pirt that you need time to travel and see on your own. Travel time takes a big chunk of your day from you and despite the fact that we got 11 hours there you easily have to take 4 hours of that time off for transportation. It is easy enough to do on your own. We had ordered tickets online for the Coliseum and easily made it there in time for our guided tour. The tour lasts approximately 45 minutes and again it was blistering hot. The guide was enjoyable but I found I learned most of what she was saying by simply reading Rick Steeves Mediterranean Cruise Ports books. However other members of our party found it quite enjoyable and learned lots. We chose not to do the underground tour as time was such a restriction. We chose to walk around the Forum which was also very interesting, and included in the price of the admission to the Coliseum. The form is huge and we could have used more time there for sure. We had to add in lunch on this day and really there is nowhere in this area to eat so of course we chose the obvious place right outside the Metro station. Be warned, very expensive and mediocre food which is actually just food from a kiosk just inside the metro station door. A coke there cost me $5.50 euros. All in all with limited time you would need to choose the Coliseum area or the Vatican but you could not do both unless you just drove by. Enjoyed it very much.

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum
Florence (Livorno)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

We really loved this port of call. I believe it was one of my favorites. We did not do an excursion because my main focus here was to see the statue of David. I had prepurchased my tickets for Accademia and on the advise of someone on Cruise Critic we decided not to do the Uffizi Gallery as well due to time restrictions. Seeing the statue in all its glory was a serious hair raising experience for me. I was overwhelmed when I saw it and I believe it was one of the highlights of the trip for me. We had a short period of time here so after the museum we just walked around a bit before heading back to the ship.

More Florence (Livorno) Reviews Florence (Livorno) Port Profile Florence (Livorno) Forum