Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > grandmaR's Port Reviews of Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Castaway Cay

grandmaR's Port Reviews of Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Castaway Cay
Disney Fantasy cruise in June 2013
Member Name: grandmaR
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Member Review: grandmaR's Disney Fantasy Review
Grand Cayman
Duck Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

This was the Duck tour. If they had offered Trolley Roger I would have loved to do that, but they didn't. For the tender, there was a special place on the top deck for handicapped and also a place for the wheelchair. But my granddaughter had to push me in the wheelchair. We had the land tour first, and we saw some of the little green iguanas, but none of the blue ones. It was kind of bumpy and hard to take photos. Then they inflated some side bumper things and we went into the water. They had an underwater camera and then went over a shipwreck. They gave us round soda crackers to throw to the fish. We enjoyed this excursion. Afterward we went shopping. When we got back to the tender dock, the dock people pushed me up the ramp (my granddaughter absolutely could not have done it) and they put me on the deck, still in the wheelchair for the ride back

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Costa Maya
Snorkeling Rating: Not Rated

My problem was getting to the tour which involved walking down a long pier in the heat and across the shopping area to a parking lot. I thought if my granddaughter could push the wheelchair to where there was a free shuttle that I could probably walk from the end of the shuttle to the bus. But the shuttle had just left when we got there so the man who was in charge of leading the tour just pushed the wheelchair himself to the shopping area and then took it back. The bus took us to the dock for the glass bottomed boat and snorkel tour. I had a hard time walking down the dock and had to stop several times and rest, but I got there eventually. First we went over the reef in the glass bottomed boat. Then they showed us how to put on and use the snorkels. My granddaughter did really well for her first time. I was having a problem staying with the group because there was some current. I saw two squid swimming along the sea floor. Eventually I just hung on to the boogie board with my granddaughter and let Diego the guide tow us. They brought the vans for the ride back to the port out on the pier so I didn't have to walk far to get on. Then when we got back to the port, Diego got the EMTs to put me in a wheelchair and take me all the way back to the ship. My granddaughter was thrilled that she didn't have to push. They also brought us in the far gangway and we were the only ones coming in there. Then the gangway people gave us the wheelchair and pushed me back to the room. This was a very successful excursion.

More Costa Maya Reviews Costa Maya Port Profile Costa Maya Forum
Cozumel
Submarine Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+

In Cozumel, I took one of the bike rickshaws down the pier. They let me go out the back gate (so I didn't have to climb the stairs to the overpass) and put us in a taxi for the Atlantis Submarine tour. We were the first ones there. I suggested to my granddaughter that she look at the shop there and she came back and said "There's nothing there, not even a key chain, for less then $150.00. I said that must be pesos. After a little argument back and forth I told her to go and ask how much it was in dollars for what she wanted. It was $4.00. They showed us a safety video and loaded us onto a boat which took us out to the submarine. This was really pretty interesting. We went down to 100 feet over the reef and saw a lot of fish and coral and my granddaughter saw a shark. We got a lot of nice photos. When we got back to the office and gift shop I asked if the taxi could take us to a store that my granddaughter wanted to go to. The lady said sure, and put us into a cab and he took us out there.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum
Castaway Cay
Port Rating: Not Rated

Castaway Cay: The first time we went, we stopped at the post office for my granddaughter to send a post card from the Bahamas. There was a lady there who hadn't realized that her room card wouldn't work at the post office and that they didn't take credit cards. So my granddaughter lent her some money (which she paid back).

Then we tried a Fun Cat (a motor driven catamaran), which was kind of lame. You couldn't really go anyplace.

We also fed the stingrays. I did the stingrays here rather than in Grand Cayman because I've done the Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman and was NOT impressed. The sting ray feeding here was very good - they had the sting rays trained to come up on a platform in the water and take the food from your hand on a Mickey shaped target. Then you can stay there afterward and touch the sting rays as they swim around. The rays have their stingers removed. They are not wild rays like in Grand Cayman and the water isn't as deep as it is there.

We also rode the free tram down to the second stop and back, and had lunch at the BBQ.

I used my scooter as I knew there was no way that my granddaughter could push a sand wheelchair. The sand is extremely difficult to walk on and that restricted what I could reasonably do. Plus I am not a beach person. Lying on the beach is not my thing.

More Castaway Cay Reviews Castaway Cay Port Profile Castaway Cay Forum