Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Glitterini's Port Reviews of Barcelona, Marseille, Florence (Livorno), Rome (Civitavecchia), Naples

Carnival Sunshine cruise in June 2013
Member Name: Glitterini
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: Glitterini's Carnival Sunshine Review
Barcelona
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

We spent a week in Barcelona prior to sailing and had a great time. The city is the cleanest city I have ever seen. There is so much to see and it is beautiful. If you only have one day, I'd suggest a hop on, hop off bus. There are 3 routes and bring you to most sights.

More Barcelona Reviews Barcelona Port Profile Barcelona Forum
Marseille
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+

We were not impressed by this port. Shuttle to the Old Port was 14 Euros each, round trip. We ended up seeing a local bus stop around the corner once we got on the shuttle. We went to the Chateau d'If which was very interesting and a lovely sight to see. The people operating the ferry however were absolutely horrible. Tourists around us not much better. We were waiting in the rain for a ferry back to Marseille. The ferry operator was only taking people for another island and was literally screaming at us to move back. We live in Quebec, we speak french. My husband went to speak to the man and told him we were with a baby and asked if we could get on to get the baby out of the rain but they would not let us. People around us were pushing us to get on the ferry and didn't give two hoots that they were trampling over a stroller. We waited for an hour for a ferry to get us, in the rain. There is no cover to hide under, nor is there a board with the ferry times near the dock. Thank goodness I brought a rain cover for the stroller and I have a good sport of an 8 month old.

More Marseille Reviews Marseille Port Profile Marseille Forum
Florence (Livorno)
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

We absolutely loved this port. We decided to do both Pisa and Florence. We took a taxi to the train station which cost 20 euros. Pisa is about 20 minutes away. Once you get to Pisa you need to take the LAM rossa bus to get to the leaning tower. The piazza is magnificent and it's something to see. We spent only an hour there as we wanted to head to Florence. Florence was absolutely beautiful. We wish we would have had more than one day to spend there. It's a very small city so if you just want to walk around it's perfect to spend maybe 3 hours there.

More Florence (Livorno) Reviews Florence (Livorno) Port Profile Florence (Livorno) Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

We went only to the Vatican since we were returning to Rome after our cruise. It was worth it to spend the day there. The Basilica is just unbelievable. We walked up in the cupola and went to the Vatican museums. The Sistine Chapel is just a work of beauty. There are no words to describe what Michelangelo did in there.

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum
Naples
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

We decided to go to Pompeii which was a big mistake. I read reviews before leaving and people said that it was fine to bring a stroller, they had no problems and whatnot. Um I don't know if that was the same Pompeii because this one is NOT stroller friendly. Also, this was something I was looking forward to seeing since I was a young girl and I was left very underwhelmed. I wished I would have gone to Capri instead. Napoli itself is a busy, dirty city. There is junk everywhere, taxi drivers harass you to take tours with them. You need to go in the city to actually get a taxi to drive you to the train station.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Dubrovnik
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

This was one of our favorite ports. The view of the city from the boat is indescribable. Beautiful homes on a hill that winds down to the Old City. The street in the Old City is marble. Beautiful little shops and a market at the end that leaves your taste buds unsatisfied. We went to the island of Lokrum which was just gorgeous. Peacocks running wild, lagoons between rock cliffs and ruins of a monastery. We swam in a very small lagoon that was inside a cliff with a hole looking out to the sea. We were absolutely alone. It was fantastic.

More Dubrovnik Reviews Dubrovnik Port Profile Dubrovnik Forum
Venice
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Venice out shined my expectations. It is a unique city that everyone should visit. The architecture is outstanding, the sound of the water lapping on the buildings is the most noise you hear and a gondola ride where we met a gondoliere that happens to have family where I grew up! It was just above and beyond anything I had imagined. The people were incredibly nice and even though there are a lot of tourists, it didn't feel crowded to me.

More Venice Reviews Venice Port Profile Venice Forum