Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > CanWeGoYet?'s Port Reviews of Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria

CanWeGoYet?'s Port Reviews of Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria
Destination: Alaska
Member Review: CanWeGoYet?'s Carnival Miracle Review
Skagway
Yukon Van Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I booked with Dyea Dave again, for a van ride into the yukon. It was a lovely warm day, and this was our longest port day. We got to see numerous mountains, see the train (although I did not add on the white pass railroad to the excursion - I could have) and emerald lake. We went into carcross & saw the carcross desert, had lunch at a good bakery & stopped at a waterfall on the way back. No wildlife spotted, but others saw a porcupine and we all saw way way too many monster mosquitoes! Had plenty of time for shopping in town and wandering around, taking in the sights. Last year Dave did the tour, this time Barry. They both do a good job & I enjoyed Barry's dry wit.

More Skagway Reviews Skagway Port Profile Skagway Forum
Juneau
Mendenhall Glacier Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Another warm, sunny & beautiful day! I took the Glacier Express out to mendenhall, just $16 round trip. I was a little short on time at Mendenhall, as I didn't get as early a start as I should have and then wanted to be back in time to stop at Tracy's crab shack. Mendenhall glacier was stunning. A short walk from where the bus dropped us off to the visitor center. Only $3 to get in, worth triple I would say. There were many telescopes up to look out at the glacier, some good exhibits that encouraged hands on, and a park ranger gave me my own personal talk on glacier development & mendenhall glacier in particular! This is interesting for adults & would be great for kids too. I had to choose between the film and the walk on nugget falls trail. I chose the walk, it took me an hour, a little over the estimated 45 minutes round trip. I did stop for pictures. I saw many elderly folks just heading out on the walk about an hour before the last shuttle pick up as I was returning to the visitor center- I hope they made it back in time if they needed a ride. I was walking a bit slower than usual due to a recent surgery - and did take me longer to walk than estimated. If you are mobility challenged I would say to at least double the amount of time allotted so you aren't short on time or need to push yourself unduly. The walk was lovely, with stunning views of mountains, the glacier, and many wildflowers as well as the plaque dedicated to a wolf that must have lived in the area.

More Juneau Reviews Juneau Port Profile Juneau Forum
Ketchikan
wild wolf 3 hour nature trek Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Tracy of Wild Wolf Tours picked us up at the next berth down, where celebrity solstice was berthed. Soon we piled into her new, comfortable van and headed out for lunch creek. She had much information on the area and Native American life from past times, as she is part Native American herself. We took about an hour long walk on the Lunch Creek Trail and she pointed out the different types of trees and flora. We got to sample lip balm or skin creme made with local ingredients, and had a yummy snack of smoked salmon & Alaska popcorn - dried seaweed! It was very good. We then headed out to Totem Bight & saw the totems poles, long house and an eagle soar overhead. Tracy explained all the different totems. Her sunny disposition & knowledge of the area, as a ketchikan resident made for an excellent tour.

More Ketchikan Reviews Ketchikan Port Profile Ketchikan Forum
Victoria
Port Rating: Not Rated

Our port time arrival was delayed 90 minutes due to a medical emergency earlier on the cruise, but it was short time in this port even had that not happened. This port was not a huge deal to me as I'm local, have seen Victoria many times & even had I not - the health of the passenger who got hurt will always be more important than port time! Kudos to the captain for turning the ship around & getting her the care she needed. The captain extended the time 1/2 hour, so in theory we had from 8:45 til 12 for back on board, with a sailing time of 12:30. In practice though it was 9:40 until we made it off the ship - then another 15 minutes to get to the buses. The line off the ship took forever, they really need to make this a longer port stop or it's basically worthless. By the time we were loaded on the bus ($10 round trip to town & back to the cruise port) it was 10pm. As we got off the bus, the driver then tells us the last shuttle back at 11. What a waste, we really should have stayed on board. So if you are taking the bus in, ask what time the last bus back is BEFORE you buy the ticket! If the driver had volunteered that info I bet 1/2 the customers would have walked back to the ship or taken a taxi. We walked around a bit, took a few pictures & then did a bit of shopping. Advice - as you get off the ship there will be several stores open. If you want to shop, shop first. The last 20 minutes before the last shuttle pick up, half those stores had closed.

More Victoria Reviews Victoria Port Profile Victoria Forum