Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > aprilfoolforcruise's Port Reviews of Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Grand Turk, St. Thomas

Carnival Liberty cruise in May 2013
Member Name: aprilfoolforcruise
Cruise Date: May 2013
Member Review: aprilfoolforcruise's Carnival Liberty Review
Half Moon Cay
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Family of 6 with my parents (60,s). This is a great and relaxing stop. No hassles or worries about finding a beach. It felt safe and the water was beautiful. The sand was amazing. This is my second time to Half Moon Cay and I forgot how wonderful the sand is for building sandcastles and walking along the beach. We did a little snorkeling and there were some fish. I'm sure we might have seen more if we had gone to a reef on an excursion, but we were satisfied. We brought our own snorkel gear. We have never rented a cabana or any gear there although it might have been fun to sea kayak. We did not do any paid exursions.
Very safe and fun for swimming. Bathroom readily available.

I rate this port a four only in the respect that you have to tender into the port and the barbaque on Island is just soso. Although we all found something to eat. Its tough to cook for so many in limited cooking facilities and the food can get cold easily in the trays. Make sure to get tender tickets early. If you get up first thing and go to the theater there is no waiting for a tender. It takes a long time to load and unload the boat. It's a short ride, but I love to be able to just walk on and off the boat.

Everyone in our group liked this port the best. Kids 18 to 6

More Half Moon Cay Reviews Half Moon Cay Port Profile Half Moon Cay Forum
San Juan
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Family of six plus my parents (60's). We left our 6 year old in the kids club on the ship. This is my second time to Puerto Rico. I enjoy the port, but generally it is hot. The two forts to view are within walking distance and they are fun to walk through. Bring water. I understand Cafe Puerto Rico is the place to eat, but we had 4 kids with us so really they aren't going to enjoy authentic food. They beaches I understand are quite a distance and require a cab ride. We opted out of that. My husband and I have both seen the forts before so we got off the boat, found an hour tour around the city on a tour bus for 10.00 each and we were satisfied with viewing the city and hearing its background. We did not do any ship excursions. Trying to stay in a budget with our family. There is a free trolley...green. We did not take that either time being here...but other reviews I saw did reccomend them if you didn't want to walk to the forts. We browsed a few shops.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
Grand Turk
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Family of 6 and my parents (60's). Walk right off the boat and on to the beach. We did not do any ship shore excursions. There is a restricted cruise port area which felt very safe and clean. There are two large pools in a closed port area. We did not use them...one is good for kids...there other bellies up to a bar...and if you were a drinker it seemed ideal. We snorkeled and swam in the cruise port area basically in the shadow of the ship. There is a huge drop off near a deep part of the swimming area where the ship is docked. Its my second time to this port and it was fun. It is a little silty close to shore, but farther off a little deeper we snorkeled and saw a lot of fish. My last trip here we did the same, but also paid a driver that we found just outside the shopping area to go inland a ways. I don't beleive it was anymore then 20 or 30 for three of us We walked a beach and through a ratty part of town. The beach was amzaing. Tip...it is less crowded to the right of the port entrance of the dock. The swimming area is smaller and has some rocky areas, but everyone seems to go left. There are always fish near rocks. I didn't notice the right side until after my second trip. My mom and I walked a ways down on the left and out of the cruiseport area where there were boats and jset skis and water skiers. You can just hire someone right there to do all those activities. We did not do any ship shore exursions. Bathrooms close and available in the cruise port area.

Everyone in our group really enjoyed this port. kids age 18 to 6.

More Grand Turk Reviews Grand Turk Port Profile Grand Turk Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Family of 6 plus my parents (60's). We really enjoyed this port particularly because I got a good tip from someone who came here before. I've been here prior and took a ship excursion to St. John. Beware of very aggressive taxi drivers when you get off the ship. To get to downtown St. Thomas it is 4 dollars each way per person and there is supposed to be better shopping there. I have never been. To the beaches it is 10.00 each way per person although I talked them down to 8.00 and gave a tip at the end. The driver takes you there and pick you up and the taxi drivers don't have you pay until the return trip so you know they will come back and get you. We took a taxi to Secret Harbor which is secluded and about a 20 min drive. It has bathroom and a restaurant although we didn't eat there. Uncle Albert was our driver and I would actually look for him when you get into port. They are all basically from the same company, but he was different, informative and friendly. He was the only cab driver to mention secret harbor and it was the one beach I wanted to go to and I wanted a cab driver that knew it. Many of the cab drivers were very aggressive and pushy. Look like you know what you want to do and they won't be so pushy. There is Meagan's beach and a few others that people say they like, but read others reveiws about this port to learn more. Meagan's beach costs to go in. We snorkeled at Secret Harbor, had our own gear. Plenty of fish.. Maybe could have used water shoes, but did just fine. Clear beautiful water... great sand. Uncle Albert came back as promised. His taxi was an open area truck with a roof and comfortable seats.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum