Member Reviews

Cruise Date: June 2013
Member Review: polkadots's Oasis of the Seas Review
Labadee
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

We took the Discover Haiti boat tour in the morning. I really enjoyed getting to see more of the coast and hearing some background of the island, but my husband and father-in-law weren't that impressed with the experience and wished we'd gone closer to shore or seen "more interesting things." During the boat trip a man did come around trying to sell us bracelets. After the boat trip we tried going to the beach - husband wanted to snorkel and I wanted to lay in the shade to read. It was so hot that it felt like walking through fire. I had read that the little tents were free to use but when I asked an attendant to set one up for me he refused when I was unable to hand over a seapass card or cash so I had to try to find a spot under a tree and I basically boiled in the humidity until my husband announced the snorkeling was terrible, so back to the ship for us. It did look like a nice beach, with lots of places to see, so if I ever had another trip to Haiti I would just hope for cooler weather, and a better understanding of how to get an umbrella for shade!

Labadee has a "trolley" to ferry guests around the area. We waited in a huge crowd for the trolley to take us back to the ship and it was already full when it got to us - we were lucky to squish in and left many, many fellow waiters behind. The trolley went through a vendor's market that we had walked through before - the merchants here are very aggressive even though you are on a moving trolley! So I am not sure what the goods looked like or how the pricing was as I am uncomfortable in those types of situations.

More Labadee Reviews Labadee Port Profile Labadee Forum
Falmouth
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+

In Jamaica we did not book an excursion, as they all involved long bus trips out of Falmouth to the more developed parts of the island. We did get off the boat to check out the shops in the port, and paid for a short 35-minute trolley ride leaving from the port area to tour the town. The 35-minute tour involved a 10-15 minute stop at the Falmouth Parish Church where we were accosted by people trying to sell us things. It wasn't much better inside the church as there were people inside begging for donations to maintain the church. One fellow passenger who just tried to stay on the trolley during the church stop was immediately targeted by a crowd of people aggressively trying to make a sale and he felt very unsafe. It was very hot in Falmouth the day we were there, but the trolley was "air conditioned" and as long as it was moving we had a nice breeze. We were glad to get back onto the ship after the trolley trip. (The port shops included a Dairy Queen ... which I thought was really silly. Who would pay all this money for a cruise ship trip to somewhere exotic and then pay a bunch more money for the exact same ice cream you can buy at home?)

More Falmouth Reviews Falmouth Port Profile Falmouth Forum
Cozumel
Chankanaab National Park Tour Rating: Not Rated

Cozumel was my favorite port of call by far. We booked the excursion for the dolphin/manatee encounter at Chankanaab. The dolphins were amazing, and the manatee was neat. They have a free sea lion show that was an adorable hoot. Chankanaab has a very nice beach area with plenty of shady spots to relax. It was very low-stress getting to/from the area - the excursion arranged taxis to take us all to the facility, and whenever we wanted to leave we simply had to report to a certain place at the entrance and they would arrange a taxi to take us back to the port at no additional cost to us - it was included in the excursion fee.

I wish we had owned and brought a waterproof camera with us to document the amazing experiences we had with the dolphins and manatee. The pictures the Chankanaab staff took were very cool, but insanely expensive. I would absolutely do this excursion again, would recommend it to anyone ... and would be sure to bring my own waterproof camera for next time to save money on pictures.

My mother-in-law's curling iron died during our trip. She went to the spa to ask if they had one she could borrow to do her hair for dinner and they weren't very nice about it. In Cozumel on the way back from Chankanaab she and my father-in-law were able to take a taxi to a store called Mega (?) to buy a new one, and the taxi driver waited for them to make the purchase and then drove them back to the port.

Dolphin Swim & Encounter Rating: Not Rated