Member Reviews

Destination: Alaska
Member Review: TwoCalBears's Grand Princess Review
Haines
Port Rating: Not Rated

I loved this port--in fact this stop was the reason we chose this cruise. Haines is a "real" Alaska town, where all the stores are locally-owned, which means it is not crowded with jewelry stores owned by outsiders who open in Alaska in the summer and the Caribbean in the winter. And anyone who has read Heather Lende's "If you lived here I would know your name," has longed to visit this charming town, which few cruise ships visit. Everyone I met in Haines was friendly and welcoming--I had a wonderful conversation with the artist Debi Knight Kennedy in her gallery, and when I went to the hardware store to buy a souvenir from Haines, a staff member introduced me to Heather Lende's husband Chip. I was also fortunate to have as my guide during a drive through the Chilkat Valley Ms. Lucy of Lucy's Tours and Shuttle. Finally, though our day in Haines dawned cloudy, by afternoon the clouds had lifted enough to see the snow-covered peaks rising directly behind the little town nestled at their base.

More Haines Reviews Haines Port Profile Haines Forum