Member Reviews

Cruise Date: May 2013
Member Review: karaokevixen's Carnival Victory Review
Half Moon Cay
Port Rating: Not Rated

Our cruise went to Half Moon Cay and Nassau. As I'd never been to either, I was exceedingly excited to see what each port had to offer. I also booked a shore excursion for HMC to go parasailing. The tender process was quick and painless, and a few minutes after leaving Victory, I was walking on HMC. That island is the most beautiful place I've ever seen with my own eyes. The water was warm, clear, and as blue as the sky. You could see these tiny schools of fish swimming around, and I even ended up purchasing one of those cheesy posed pictures of the guy serving champagne to you IN the water. I just liked the way it turned out. Anyway, the powder-like sand was kind of hard to walk through, but you get used to it. I rented a clamshell-like cover for my loungers for twenty dollars and while it was worth it for the shade, it had very little air flow through there and became rather stuffy. I also rented a large tube to use in the water for ten dollars, and that made for some decent lounging. The sun was shining, the island was gorgeous, but it was too windy and so my excursion was cancelled. Since I booked before the cruise, the money was refunded to my Sail and Sign. Oh well. More fun on the boat. (I'll keep trying to do this until I actually get to fly)

More Half Moon Cay Reviews Half Moon Cay Port Profile Half Moon Cay Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: Not Rated

Nassau was a disappointment. I didn't feel like spending the money to go to Atlantis, so I decided I would just relax in the morning and get off the boat to walk around and grab lunch. As soon as you're off the boat, there are vendors selling touristy trinkets along with people offering you tours of the island or to braid your hair. I'm really not into being talked to like I'm at a carnival (pardon the pun) so I politely told them all no and kept walking. Half the stores I passed were closed. The side streets (and even the main drag that I was on) just felt a bit shady to me and I really didn't feel all that safe walking around. I was off the boat for MAYBE an hour or so before heading back. It was a little dirty, congested, and I just didn't like it. If I could avoid going back there, I would.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum