Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > goosetines's Port Reviews of Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel

goosetines's Port Reviews of Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel
Carnival Magic cruise in May 2013
Member Name: goosetines
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Member Review: goosetines's Carnival Magic Review
Roatan
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

I like Roatan! We've been there twice this year, and rented a car through Avis both times. Avis has a booth at the port and it's only $50 for the day. This way we can see everything on our own.

The iguana farm (I hate to say) was not for the $5/each to get in. I'd skip it. The roads are easy to navigate (There's really only one road so you can't really get lost!) We drive down to West Bay beach and park for $1/hr. I recommend skipping the overpriced tourist restaurants and actually prefer the little food stand in the parking area! She's a great cook and makes everything from scratch. Super cheap and very tasty.

Stop at the grocery in town to get drinks for cheaper than the ship. It's about 20 Honduras dollars to $1. You can drink and drive, although don't get carried away!

More Roatan Reviews Roatan Port Profile Roatan Forum
Belize City
Port Rating: Not Rated

This is our favorite port! Don't let the people hassling outside the gate fool you. Although there is pretty much NOTHING to do in Belize City, there are a few good options. Here's what I wholeheartedly recommend: Walk out the gated area to the left. Ask about the water taxi to Caye Caulker. You'll want to catch the 9:00am taxi, and the 1:30pm return. (Belize time). It costs about $30-40 round trip for 2 people. About a 45 min boat ride through GORGEOUS water! Caye Caulker is a stunning little island that you can walk all over. There are no cars, but you can rent golf carts for about $10/hr. Beautiful, PEACEFUL beached, cheap eats, LAID BACK. Can't beat it. That's what we do everytime. My uncle's been going there since the 70's. I recommend a restaurant called "Little Kitchen." She's great. Cruise ships don't go there, so it's never crowded.

More Belize City Reviews Belize City Port Profile Belize City Forum
Cozumel
Port Rating: 0.0 out of 5+

Been to Cozumel a lot. We finally figured out- rent a car and negotiate the price. We paid $45 even, no tax. If you head away from downtown, about 8 miles on your right is "Paradise Beach." It's gorgeous, resort style. Big pool, lots of loungers, fabulous ocean front, etc. Drinks, food, clean restrooms, a shop, all that stuff! It's only $2 to hang there! Forget the cruise excursions! This is the place. When you head back, stop at the taco stand just down the road and order a torta. Maybe some tacos pollo. Delicious, cheap, authentic.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum