Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > PonyUp77's Port Reviews of Mykonos, Crete (Heraklion)

PonyUp77's Port Reviews of Mykonos, Crete (Heraklion)
Navigator of the Seas cruise in April 2013
Member Name: PonyUp77
Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Member Review: PonyUp77's Navigator of the Seas Review
Mykonos
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+

Our original schedule included a stop in Athens, but planned protests to mark May Day required a change in the schedule. Instead we stopped in the Greek island of Mykanos. Having been to Athens on multiple occassions, I welcomed the change to Mykanos. We did not book an excursion, but instead opted to explore the small town near the pier. You can catch a bus into town for three Euros or it is about a two mile walk. We took the walk, but I would advise against doing so. The roads are narrow and traffic makes the walk an adventure. We took a taxi back at the end of the day for 10 Euros. The village is beautiful. It is painted white, much like Santorini. There are multiple cafes along the waterfront with a maze of walkways leading back to shops and restaurants. It was quite windy on the day of our visit - gusts of about 45 mph. But once you walk back into the shops you don't even feel the breeze. There were excursions offered to an archeological site for those seeking a greater adventure.

More Mykonos Reviews Mykonos Port Profile Mykonos Forum
Crete (Heraklion)
Port Rating: Not Rated

The final port visit was the island of Crete. The ship docks in Souda Bay near the western Crete town of Chania. There are a few shops in Souda near the pier, but there is also a bus for three Euros into Chania. Having lived in Chania in the mid-90's, I booked a taxi excursion to revisit some of my old haunts. The area has grown in the last 15-20 years and some of my old haunts had really changed. We made our way back to the Old Harbor and that is the area I would recommend for those taking this cruise. The Venetian Harbor is beautiful and offers a variety of shops and cafes. There is a maritime museum on one end of the harbor. You can take glass bottom boat rides. Or wander a few blocks to Leather Alley where you can get some great deals on all types of leather goods or find bargains on locally produced items like olive oil or honey. A nearby archeological museum provides items of interest about the Menoan period. My wife enjoyed this stop more than any other and now wants to book a week stay in Chania for a future trip.

More Crete (Heraklion) Reviews Crete (Heraklion) Port Profile Crete (Heraklion) Forum