Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > lredwards's Port Reviews of St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

Carnival Valor cruise in May 2013
Member Name: lredwards
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: lredwards's Carnival Valor Review
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We opted for just a beach & shopping day. After the camera non-disaster, I wanted to check the stores in St. Thomas for a camera that could take a beating and go underwater. Ended up getting another new camera for relatively cheap boyfriend claimed ownership of the one we got in San Juan. After this success, took a cab to Magens Bay. $8 per person for a group of 2 or more. The beach was beautiful and water was very calm. Easily grabbed a cab back to the ship from the beach.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
Barbados
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Also another beach day. Took a cab to Carlisle Beach. I asked the driver to go to Lobster Alive, but he recommended Harbor Lights. Its all on the same beach, but I really did like the Harbor Lights area. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring enough money with us to take a snorkeling tour to see the turtles vendors will ask you on the beach if you want to go out. This was an amazingly beautiful beach. The sand was so fine and soft and the ocean was calm and clear. I could have spent forever out here. Our taxi driver waited all day at the beach for our group, so it was easy to get back to the ship.
More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
St. Lucia
Rating: Not Rated
I knew I was in for something special when I opened up our curtains and let out an audible gasp at how green this island was. It was like something out of a dream. We had our first tour scheduled here on Spencer Ambrose doing the Jalousie Beach Break. I chose this tour vs. the Land and Sea tour because I had heard that St. Lucias roads are not for the faint of heart - this tour was a boat ride both ways between the beach. We had a hilarious tour guide, Terry (I think), who made the boat ride to the beach fun and informative. Once we got to the beach (which is smallish, and the area for the tour groups is small), we borrowed some snorkel gear from Terry and explored the protected coral habitat area right by one of the pitons (lots of colorful fish and we saw an octopus). Oh, and I should mention that the Pitons are incredibly beautiful. One couple on our boat climbed one of them, which is not something that I would try in that heatbut good for them! This was by far my favorite island on the trip maybe my favorite in the Caribbean and our favorite tour.

More St. Lucia Reviews St. Lucia Port Profile St. Lucia Forum
St. Kitts
Island tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Its almost unfair to follow St. Lucia, at least in my opinion. This was the island I knew the least about before the trip. We had an all-inclusive type tour with Thenford Grey. The bus he drove us around in was very nice and he was very informative. Id highly recommend him. I do not know how he got the bus around some of those curves going up to the fort. He drove us around town, then to the batik factory, then to the fort (which is a UNESCO world heritage site) and then to the beach (with a couple of stops in between). The beach he took us to is very nice, and had a cute little beach restaurant. There were also monkeys wandering around in the foresty area right near the beach one jumped right next to my boyfriend and scared him. The water here was also calm but the sand was hot not shocking being that it is volcanic sand - make sure you have your shoes on when you walk on the sand. The restaurant is cash only, which was kinda annoying because we did not have enough cash to rent snorkel gear. There is a reef near the swimming area of the beach and it would have been interesting to check it out. My boyfriend and I decided that we need to actually buy our own gear so we dont have to rent anymore.

More St. Kitts Reviews St. Kitts Port Profile St. Kitts Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: Not Rated
We had a tour scheduled with Bernards tours. Mailman was our guide, and the rum punch was flowing (for others, we opted out for water as we were feeling a little dehydrated, but I heard it was yum). We went all over the islands, with stops at Orient Beach, Marigot (long enough to get French pastries at Sarafinas), and Maho beach for airplane sightings, among other quick stops. I would definitely recommend this tour to others. I really wish we had another sea day to unwind before packing, because after we got back from St. Maarten, we immediately started packing up our stuff.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum