Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > dvdisney's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

dvdisney's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten
Carnival Dream cruise in May 2013
Member Name: dvdisney
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Member Review: dvdisney's Carnival Dream Review
Nassau
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
We only had one goal in Nassau: to get a knock-off purse at the straw market. They must have cracked down on the licensing, as there weren't any to be found there. But we did find one on a side street. We didn't stay around long (it was a short day there anyway), and we wanted to get back on the ship.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
St. Thomas was interesting. We went to get a cab, hoping to go to Captain BlueBeard's castle. My husband said Blue Beard, and they whisked us into a minivan with 5 other people. We went on the other side of the island. I thought maybe the other group were going there first. We knew the castle wasn't that far from port. Well they took us to BlueBeard's Resort, a Wyndham resort. When my husband told the driver we wanted the castle, she started yelling at us and at her dispatcher on the phone saying we were calling her a liar. The others in the van were amazed at the treatment as well. The driver took us to another resort, where we got onto another cab. The gentleman driving that one was much nicer and said they should have confirmed, as there are two Blue Beard's (well we found out there are at least 3). He took us to the castle, which seemed small and unimpressive to us. We walked around the little hotel that was connected, thinking we'd walk back down to the port/downtown area. After seeing there were no sidewalks and we didn't feel safe walking the narrow road, we hailed another cab to take us down. We shopped a little and found a great little restaurant in the historic area. Gracies. She had been there for over 45 years and I had the best fried plantains that I've ever eaten. Totally made up for our first part of the day. Oh, when we got back to the boat and were reading the magazines, we found pictures of Blue Beard's Castle....wasn't anything like the two that we were taken to!
More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
St Maarten was beautiful. We took a cab to Orient Beach, We do enjoy clothing optional beaches at times, so we were comfortable. We just got unpacked and comfy on the chairs (nice deal. $10 for 2chairs, an umbrella, and 2 rum punches) and it started to rain. So we packed up a little and ran up to the restaurant for a quick lunch of chicken tenders. The rain travelled through fast and we were able to go back down and relax. I never realized the water could be so blue. It was a little chilly to go in though. Devan and Daddy enjoyed walking the beach, while I enjoyed laying around. After getting sufficient sun, we decided to head into town and shop a little. The shopping was the same at all three islands. If you're going for jewelry, you'd be in heaven. I wasn't, so we were un-impressed.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum