Member Reviews

maygirlinde's Port Reviews of St. Maarten, Labadee
Explorer of the Seas cruise in May 2013
Member Name: maygirlinde
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Member Review: maygirlinde's Explorer of the Seas Review
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I wished we had scheduled an excursion for this port. Unless you want to shop for jewelry all day long, don't go "shopping". It was not pleasant. The locals would shove jewelry brochures at you and try to get you to enter their shop for the best discounts. Our friends went to a beach on a planned excursion and had a wonderful time. They raved about the beach and the water. If we had skipped this port and stayed in Bermuda an extra day, we would have been happy.
More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum
Labadee
Port Rating: Not Rated
My husband was scared to death when I informed him that one of our stops was "Haiti". He said "I will not be getting off the ship there, no way". Well, it is now officially his favorite place. Royal Caribbean has thought of everything. We got off of the ship, and got on a ship provided tram that took us to the beach of our choice. We had been provided a map of the area the night before and it had keys that showed us where it was good to swim, walk, have family time, dance, work out etc. There was something for everyone. Lunch was great and there seemed to be plenty. I had read that some folks experienced shortages. Not this cruise! My only issue at this port was the locals selling their wares. If you don't intend to buy anything, don't even act remotely interested. If you didn't purchase they were mean, and at any moment you felt like it would get violent. Even the band while asking you to buy CD's. Very pushy. One guy even asked my husband to please give him food, they were hungry. We didn't know their situation, we didn't want to get in trouble by offering them food and we sure didn't want them to think that we were soft hearted and have them take advantage of that. It made an otherwise very enjoyable stop, a little unpleasant.

More Labadee Reviews Labadee Port Profile Labadee Forum