Member Reviews

Embarkation: other
Member Review: njgreygirl's Disney Fantasy Review
Costa Maya
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
Our excursion got cancelled due to rough seas....I would have been happy to bypass this but our friends wanted to take a cab to the beach. We booked our own cab through a guy named Raul, and I have to say, I felt very hesitant about doing it. Costa Maya is a dump and I did not feel safe. We were told to go to mahawahl beach, see Norma at YaYa beach. So as we are driving there we get stopped by two guys. They asked us if we had reservations. I immediately had my "were being ripped off senses heightened". We said Raul sent us...then they asked for the white piece of paper....they were just looking for some money. I immediately asked the cab driver to take us back. After some talking between the men and the driver, he brought us to YaYa beach and we did not pay any extra. OK, so the beach was nice, and for a $10 tip we all got chairs but no towels....they were friendly but we never felt comfortable to leave our belongings so someone always stayed with our stuff. Every 5 minutes someone came up to us asking if we wanted to buy some goods....not my idea of relaxation, but in the end it turned out ok....I would suggest booking something through Disney so you don't fall prey to some sketchy situations.
More Costa Maya Reviews Costa Maya Port Profile Costa Maya Forum
Castaway Cay
Port Rating: Not Rated
Was disappointed in Castaway Cay. My least favorite stop. Everyone kept talking about how wonderful this was going to be...while it is pretty, there were so many beach chairs and it was so crowded you felt like you were on Coney Island....not a relaxing vibe at all and was the first time I felt like I was with thousands of people. The sand is very shelly, and it is painful to walk in. The food at the BBQ was mediocre...I am not a big meat lover, so there were very few good vegetarian options. I would have gone back to the ship for lunch, but it was a bit of a hike back. We rented floats - don't bother. The current was so strong that you kept drifting to the lines and could not really control the float. Good news was there were chairs and umbrellas for everyone. And the snorkeling was mediocre. You have to swim quite a ways until you saw anything interesting.

Next time might stay on the ship!

More Castaway Cay Reviews Castaway Cay Port Profile Castaway Cay Forum