Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Kelly7adria's Port Reviews of Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel

Kelly7adria's Port Reviews of Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel
Crown Princess cruise in March 2013
Member Name: Kelly7adria
Cruise Date: March 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Member Review: Kelly7adria's Crown Princess Review
Roatan
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We had booked the glass bottom kayak / snorkel excursion. It was cancelled last minute due to the weather. So we went with the Gumbalimba Park / Beach Break. Gumbalimba was OK. Hampered a little due to the absolute downpour of rain. It was pretty & a nice last minute choice. The beach break was at Tambyana. It included a lunch, which was good. I really enjoyed the beach. Tons of loungers & the beach area was gorgeous. Tons of palm trees & soft, white sand. Lots of annoying vendors that stay on the beach by the water. If you want to swim, you're going to have to fend them off. I wanted to get a massage on the beach. When we get there, I was approached by a woman offering a $25 hour long massage. Yeah!! However, when I was taken to the "massage area", I had to lay on a nasty lounger on top of a wet sheet & was given a massage by her 7 or 8 year old daughter. Gross. She kept massaging my fingers & paying close attention to my diamond rings, again......creepy. Accompanying her was her 4 or 5 year old little brother, who fought with her the entire time & kept pestering me for a tip. In short, do NOT get a massage on this beach. If you like to snorkel, there is an excellent spot on the left side of the beach, near the cliffs. The water is shallow & calm & you literally only have to go 4 ft from the beach to start seeing fish. They have large coral formations that you can swim around & float over with tons of colorful fish. I absolutely loved the snorkeling here. As far as the city of Roatan, its pretty dirty & run down. I would stick to a ship-run excursion here.

More Roatan Reviews Roatan Port Profile Roatan Forum
Belize City
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
In Belize we did the Zip Lining / Cave Tubing excursion. The cave tubing was really cool & luckily, the water wasn't nearly as cold as I expected. We had a great guide. After the cave tubing, our group did the zip lining. Due to slowness / confusion of the zip line equipment guys, we got split up from our group, and didn't get started until 30 minutes after the rest of the group. They ran out of helmets, so we spent most of the time just standing around & waiting. Once we got to zip line, it was really fun. Over a little too quickly for me. I wanted more! They served a great lunch after zip lining. However, since we were delayed on the zip lining, we only had about 10 minutes to eat before our group had to head back to port. I would've enjoyed a more leisurely lunch. Just like Roatan, Belize City is really run down & dirty. Again, I would stick to ship run excursions here.
More Belize City Reviews Belize City Port Profile Belize City Forum
Cozumel
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We've been to Cozumel several times before, so we decided to just rent a jeep & drive around the island. I love the other side of the island, just walking around looking at the rocks & tidal pools, etc, etc. You can walk along the beaches here & find gorgeous pieces of coral. As far as I know, it IS legal to take them from this side of the island, as long as you pick them up from the beach & not the water. We went back to Chankanaab. This is a great place to spend the day. They have a great walking tour, gorgeous lagoon area (no swimming there), sea lion show, dolphin experience, restaurants, beach area, snorkeling, etc, etc. Its a really nice place. The snorkeling here is nice. Just slightly annoying walking down the mossy steps into the water & lots of waves. They have sunken monuments you can check out. Again, lots of very brave fish that swim right by you. We saw a group of at least 100 fish just hanging out by one of the monuments. Needless to say, I love Cozumel. The beaches are gorgeous & clean & the water is amazing. Its a small island & if you do your own research, you should have no problem just checking things out on your own.

As for shopping in the ports.....stay away from the jewelry. I know everyone hears that you can find great deals on jewelry. You cant. For instance, I like the silver jewelry that has multiple kinds of large semi-precious stones. This style of stuff is all over the place here. However, the necklaces run from $300-$800. You can buy the same things on Ebay for around $75. The prices in Cozumel are ridiculous. I also saw a kiosk selling a silver PLATED bracelet, and saw the same exact bracelet in just about every store, advertised as STERLING. Save your money, buy Sherridans coffee liquour. You will NOT regret that :-)

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum