Member Reviews

Cruise Date: March 2013
Member Review: yokeagan's Liberty of the Seas Review
Belize City
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We did the Royal Caribbean Snorkeling Wonders of the Barrier Reef shore excursion. Instead of tendering into town, they picked us up right off of our boat. It was about a 20 minute ride out to a small island.

They handed you your snorkeling gear(we have and bring our own) and life vest (ugh). Then they divide you into groups-- beginner, intermediate, and advanced. We are avid snorkelers and have snorkeled for years. However, my son wanted to do the intermediate group, so I sent my husband off with the advanced group and I snorkeled with my son. You are given a brief talk about the equipment and safety. then you enter the water off the island. The good: The reef is nice and healthy. Great place to snorkel. Lots of coral and sea life. The water clarity was very good. The bad: They kept trying to herd you into your group. The guide was also off like a bat out of hell, so there really wasn't enough time to just hang and explore. We are good swimmers and would have liked to be able to take our time.

Afterwards you could purchase hot dogs and hamburgers. The island is very small but they have plenty of restrooms and there are little huts scattered around for you to sit under if you want out of the sun.

I wish that this had been a longer excursion, with the ability to go back in a snorkel again.

Overall, I give this tour a B. I will definitely go back to Belize to snorkel.

More Belize City Reviews Belize City Port Profile Belize City Forum
Cozumel
Snorkeling Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We booked the Royal Caribbean Catamaran Double Site Snorkel & Beach.

The Good: The Reef is very healthy. We were able to see a lot of sea life and coral, including sea turtles, a spotted ray, squid, as well as your usually fish life. Clarity of the water was good. We also had a long time in the water, about 50 minutes. The crew were very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the Beach at Playa Mia. My husband went out on the Hobie Cat and My son wandered around the water park. I hit the beach.

The Bad: This isn't a true sailing Catamaran. They have disabled the sail and they motored the whole way out. You should note that it takes about 45 minutes to reach the snorkeling site. Also, there really is only one snorkeling site. They swim about 20 yards over to the "second" site-- so not really two snorkel stops. There really isn't enough time at the beach, once you eat, you have only about an hour. There was no way to do everything there.

The OK: Again, you are supposed to follow the guy in the water, who has a flag. However, we pretty much did what we wanted since we are strong swimmers and snorkelers. It is important to note that the water was a little rougher here, but the guide follows the natural current, so it's not too tiring for those who are not strong swimmers. The lunch provided was just ok. Not bad.

I wish this excursion was longer. Overall I give it a B+