Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > suspensegal's Port Reviews of New York (Manhattan), Southampton, Hamburg

suspensegal's Port Reviews of New York (Manhattan), Southampton, Hamburg
Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise in July 2012
Member Name: suspensegal
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Transatlantic
Member Review: suspensegal's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review
New York (Manhattan)
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
TSA practically spoiled the experience at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. The metal detector made a noise when I walked through. Before I had a chance to take off my shoes and hat (my shoes had metal in them), the man tried to approach me with a wand. I raised my arms to deflect him. He accused me of hitting him, which I didn't. But I'm not accustomed to such poor manners. I assumed I would be given time to find what caused the disturbance before anyone took any action.

At least on the bright side the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal had a big parking lot which wasn't very crowded. It was easy to find room to park our minivan. It cost about $500.00 for one month payable upon pickup. It was neat to take a photo of our minivan parked right in front of the QM2.

The cruise terminal consists of one very large room subdivided into areas. There was no food served, though there were vending machines and bathrooms. The A/C worked pretty well.

There are stairs and elevators up to the boarding ramps.

More New York (Manhattan) Reviews New York (Manhattan) Port Profile New York (Manhattan) Forum
Southampton
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We disembarked here only to go on a shore excursion to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and the New Forest. We didn't have to load or unload luggage. By the time we embarked again all the other passengers were aboard, and there were no lines. We went through another metal detector. I didn't make the machine go off because I'd already removed my shoes and my hat. But my husband did. The gentleman who worked at the Southampton Cruise Terminal was far more polite than the TSA jerk in Brooklyn who acted like a bully.

There was an escalator up to the boarding ramp.

We were on a shore excursion. We didn't spend much time in the terminal building. I didn't notice whether it had food or vending machines.

More Southampton Reviews Southampton Port Profile Southampton Forum
Hamburg
Port Rating: 0.0 out of 5+
This was the best port of all --- also the prettiest. The Hamburg Cruise Terminal -- Hafen City --- is in the midst of a huge urban renewal project. It's supposed to become the most elaborate port of embarkation in Europe, and I can see why. The cruise terminal was brand new. The embarkation and disembarkation ramps were open to the sky, and you didn't have very far to go to climb aboard or to get off. When disembarking, the employees were very polite and showed us the way. They even addressed us by name! I don't know how they managed that. And the night before we docked we were greeted at 4:00AM by cheers from the citizens of Hamburg lining the river all the way up to the dock. It was quite an experience.

Inside the terminal building there was a cafe that served food and drinks. We bought Cokes there and postcards. It was my first euro transaction in Europe before heading to the taxi stand outside.

Bathrooms are against the far wall opposite the postcard stand.

For a brand new building the A/C doesn't work as well as it should.

The atmosphere here was more relaxed than in NYC.

More Hamburg Reviews Hamburg Port Profile Hamburg Forum