Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > BHCC's Port Reviews of Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau

BHCC's Port Reviews of Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau
Norwegian Jewel cruise in February 2013
Member Name: BHCC
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: BHCC's Norwegian Jewel Review
Port Canaveral
Walt Disney World Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Very efficiently run. We disembarked at noon and were at the part by 1:20pm. You don't have much time at the park so plan accordingly. It was my son's first time and he had a blast! We did the character dinner at the Crystal Palace which was pricey but, even I have to say, worth the money.

More Port Canaveral Reviews Port Canaveral Port Profile Port Canaveral Forum
Great Stirrup Cay
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We enjoyed this very much. Yes, there are a lot of people ... but you know that before you go! We rented a ventilated "clam shell" for shade, which comes with two lounges, and it was probably the best money we spent on the entire cruise. It gives you shade, which by early afternoon you will really need, and a place to put your stuff.

We did a lot of snorkeling, which was better than expected, saw many schools of fish and a ray. There is some current so be aware and stay close to shore if you are not a strong swimmer.

My son took a stand up paddle board lesson which he enjoyed even if he fell over a bunch!

Hippo Slide closed early, much to my son's disappointment, so if it is important to you get on before 3pm.

Lots and lots of sunscreen. Apply often. Buffet lines can get long so take a look prior to getting on line.

Lovely day!

More Great Stirrup Cay Reviews Great Stirrup Cay Port Profile Great Stirrup Cay Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: Not Rated
Didn't take an excursion and took the #10 Jitney and walked the rest to Ardastra Gardens. Got there nice and early and were the first folks in! Lovely place to walk, look at the animals and plants, and relax. Loved the "marching" flamingos and enjoyed feeding the lorries. My son's favorite? The capybara - which resembles a very large guinea pig and is the world's largest rodent. Lots of local animals/plants as well as other stuff. Small place, about five acres, so you can do the whole thing it a couple of hours.

Next, we walked down to "Fish Fry" in search of the best conch fritters which, I believe, we may have found. My son had a HUGE plate of fried conch, plantains and rice which he still thinks is the best meal he had on the cruise.

Back on the #10 jitney to the straw market. Great for souvenirs and yes, the sales are aggressive and there's a lot of junk made in China. But it's still fun! Stopped for a real coconut on our way back to the pier, drank the milk and ate the flesh, 'cause everyone should do that once!

I know many folks don't like this port - but I can't figure out why!?! There's good places to walk, stuff to see and some lovely people.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum