Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > l&sfarmwmn's Port Reviews of San Juan, St. Thomas, Labadee

l&sfarmwmn's Port Reviews of San Juan, St. Thomas, Labadee
Enchantment of the Seas cruise in February 2013
Member Name: l&sfarmwmn
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Baltimore
Member Review: l&sfarmwmn's Enchantment of the Seas Review
San Juan
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We've been to San Juan once before, but chose to take a tour to the El Yunque rain forest. This time we decided to just explore the Old City on our own. We walked to El Morro fort, which was just breath taking. If you go with children, make sure you keep a close eye on them, as the fort hasn't been idiot proofed with bars and railings everywhere. We appreciated the fact we could just roam around the fort and we took a lot of amazing photographs. There is a nice trolley system for people who don't want to have to walk from the ship to the fort. Our only complaint is that our ship didn't dock until 3pm, so there wasn't enough time to get to San Cristobal, the second fort in the Old City before it closed. We were docked in San Juan until midnight, which seemed kind of pointless to me because all the shops closed around 8pm, which left really nothing for us to do except get back on the ship.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We've always been to St. Thomas once before, so decided to take a taxi to Sapphire Beach. The taxi cost 10 dollars a person each way, but even with the 7 dollar beach chair rental, still cost less than the ship's tour to the same beach, and we could stay as long as we wanted.

I purposefully picked Sapphire Beach because I'd heard that you could snorkel right off the beach. I brought my own equipment with me, though rental were available from a surf shop. The reef is located to the right of the surf shop and is very pretty. There aren't many colorful coral, but the colorful tropical fish made up for that. Some fish were actually quite large. You do have to be careful, however, because the current near the reef is a bit strong. The reef is very shallow at points, and while it was tempting to get closer to the coral, I was afraid the current would push me into the sharp formations.

The drive back to the port from Sapphire Beach is very scenic, as you travel a mountainous Skyline Drive with breathtaking views of the coast. We have our driver drop us off downtown and we did a little shopping before heading back to the ship.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
Labadee
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Labadee was a relaxing port, but all the activities were over priced. The zip line looked fun, but I wasn't going to pay over a hundred dollars for a minute long ride. My husband and I did do the alpine coaster, which was $20 for us to ride. It was fun, but not worth $20. I've been on alpine coasters before, so I knew what to expect. However, if you've never been on one, don't expect an amusement park style coaster with stomach-in-your-mouth drops or loops. Instead, you sit in a two person car with hand controlled brakes. You go swiftly, maybe around 30mph down the mountain, which offers really nice views of the beach and bay. The ride is only about a minute or two long, though.

We got two beach chair on barefoot beach near the end of the zip line. This area was less crowded because the beach here is very rocky, so you can't swim or wade in the water, which was fine with us. If you go more toward where the zip line starts, the beach is very sandy and good for swimming, but also much more crowded.

Because Labadee is Royal Caribbean's private beach, you get complimentary buffet lunches at several stops around Labadee. We weren't very impressed with the quality of the food and there was a very long wait, since there were two ships at Labadee that day. If you remain on the ship, you can only eat at the Windjammer cafe for lunch, as Park Cafe and the My Fair Lady dining room are closed while at Labadee.

We did like the local straw market and were pleased to find products actually made by the locals, as opposed to imported from China. We found a beautiful carved mahogany chess set for 35 dollars.

More Labadee Reviews Labadee Port Profile Labadee Forum