Member Reviews

Embarkation: Tampa
Member Review: Manatee2013's Jewel of the Seas Review
Grand Cayman
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We were only in port a short time, and as I told my husband, I don't think on a short (5 day) cruise to two ports it is really about the ports. As you don't necessarily get to see much of the island, it is hard to have a good opinion. Some of the excursions might have given others better exposure to more areas. However, we chose not to do an excursion there. We grabbed a taxi to 7 Mile Beach and rented snorkel gear. Our first spot was OK, but when we walked down to a reef area (near Tiki Beach) we saw many more types of fish. The port is typical with lots of jewelry stores and trinket shops (and banks to get your money out to fund your shopping!)I rated it a 3 because it was fine, but nothing different or great that we saw. (It was pretty to see the 6 ships anchored off the coast, though)

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Cozumel
Dolphin Swim & Encounter Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I loved the Dolphin "Push, Pull & Swim" at Chankanaab. We booked via the cruise line after researching doing it separately, as it was essentially the same price and we like the added security of knowing it was linked to the cruise. The experince was great, with plenty of interaction with the dolphins in only a group of 10 people. I loved petting the manatees, also. Even more, though, we loved the park itself, as the beach was beautiful The also have a pool, kid friendly beach area, sea lion show and botanical gardens. We walked down to the left to a less crowded restaurant and the beach had plenty of free beach chairs. The dive shacks nearby had reasonable (and sometimes negotiable) snorkel prices, and my husband got a great price on a spur-of-the-moment dive. He went out alone with a guide twice and got pictures for the same price as the cruise line sponsored excursion. We wandered into a nice resort back near the port (El Cid) and enjoyed drinks overlooking the ships docked nearby and then haggled with a vendor for a little Valentine's Day bobble for me :) Cozumel was great!

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum