Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > vacationdealsgirl's Port Reviews of St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, St. Thomas

Celebrity Summit cruise in January 2013
Member Name: vacationdealsgirl
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: vacationdealsgirl's Celebrity Summit Review
St. Croix
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
After perusing the cc boards, the only thing that appealed to us was the Big Beard's Buck Island all-day tour. When we originally called, we were told they were full, so I requested to be wait-listed. The morning we were to leave for San Juan we got a phone call with the great news that they had room for us! What a way to start our vacation! We took a taxi ($16 pp RT) to Christiansted which is approximately 30 minutes away. They dropped us off at Big Beard's store front, we checked in, and walked approximately 75 feet to the dock where we boarded the catamaran. It's about an hour's ride to Buck Island, with beautiful scenery along the way. Steve, Mike and Andy were great sailors/hosts. They had a cooler you could put your own beverages in, plus they provided all the water and rum punch you could want. We stopped on one side of Buck Island (shallow, protected from the waves) for a snorkel lesson for those who needed it, which gave us a chance to make sure our equipment was working properly (Big Beard's supplies the snorkel gear). Then back on board and we went around to the other side of the island where we moored and Mike and Andy took us in groups of about 6 through the underground trail, after this we could adventure out on our own. It was amazing! I've never seen anything like it! After an hour or more, we were back on board to a private beach area where the guys grilled us fish, hamburgers and hot dogs. DH and I walked along the beach and spotted two mongooses! It was a great day!

More St. Croix Reviews St. Croix Port Profile St. Croix Forum
St. Kitts
Island tour Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This was my favorite tour of the trip! We went with Royston of Royston Tours, and he took DH and I along with two other couples in his no-windows-van ALL OVER St. Kitts. We stopped at Romney Manor, Caribelle Batik, Brimstone Hill Fortress, Dieppe Bay point, Black Rocks, Timothy Hill, and many other scenic places. Royston makes sure you get to ALL the best photo ops--up close and personal! He also included a monkey photo op (Royston paid the guy a tip) and we stopped at a little craft market where he bought us all traditional island cookies of sugar cane and coconut--awesome! Once we were done He gave us a choice of chicken, vegetarian or conch rotis that we ate at a portion of South Friars Beach that was beautiful! Especially since we were the only ones there! We could have snorkeled if we wanted; he supplied the gear. It was a bargain at $45 pp, which included lunch and all entrance fees. Oh, and did I mention he had a cooler with all the water, soda and beer you wanted? The other couples were very fun to get to know. Royston is very knowledgeable about his island and made the perfect tour guide. I will caution anyone who is afraid of heights/cliffs... Royston gets very, very close to the edge (of the road, side of the cliff, etc.) enough that I had a few adrenaline rushes, but hey, if you're not living on the edge, you're just not living!

More St. Kitts Reviews St. Kitts Port Profile St. Kitts Forum
Dominica
Rainforest Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We booked the Roseau Valley Best Hike through Levi Bumpiing Tours. Kelvin (Levi's cousin) was our fantastic tour guide for the day. It was my first trip to a rain forest, and pretty much what I expected. I will say I underestimated how strenuous it would be (or overestimated my abilities), but even so, hiking 1000 feet up to Middleham Falls was well worth it. Kelvin was great, shared his knowledge of different plants, trees, the park, and was very patient with us when we needed to stop for a breather. After this they drove us to Titou Gorge which was awesome! You don't have to be an olympic swimmer as everyone has to wear a floatation belt and they will pull you through if the current is too strong (guess how I know this?) This was a great experience, not to be missed! Then we got back on the van and headed to Trafalgar Falls and the hot mineral springs. Again, the falls were beautiful and the hot springs a welcome relief to our tired legs! Normally at this point they take you to Champagne Reef for snorkeling, but everyone in our van opted to stop at a little road-side cafe for some authentic Dominica fare instead. We all had rum punch and a huge plate of food with many different things I had never tried (or seen) before for about $18pp before tip. On our drive out of the rain forest he pulled off at another road-side stand where I bought a large basket for $15! After that we enjoyed the ride downhill back to town and the cruise ship. Again, they provided a cooler with bottled water, Kubli beer and an orange soda that I did not try. I'm neither a beer drinker, but DH and many others really liked the Kubli. Another great day!

More Dominica Reviews Dominica Port Profile Dominica Forum
Grenada
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
As my DH was in basic training (and thus unable to go) when the US invaded Grenada, this was the port he was most interested in seeing. We booked this excursion with Stan Grainger Tours. Our tour guide for the day was "Nick" or at least that was his "nickname." This tour included a stop at a house (I don't remember the name) where a woman gave us a short introduction on some of the history and ecology of Grenada. We had a view of Crater Lake at this stop. The biggest thing I remember is there were women in native costume with fruit baskets on their heads that wanted you to pay them $1 for taking their picture. A man was doing the same thing with his pet monkey...asking for $1 to get your picture with the monkey. This stop was just so-so. Then we all thought we were going to get to go to a spice "plantation" which turned out to be a road-side shack. I will say Nick and the ladies in the shack did a nice job of explaining what all the different spices were, how they were harvested, etc. I spent $36 on spice sets and vanilla there, but was a little disappointed it was a store (very small one at that) and not a working plantation. Back in the van and a short drive later we arrived at St. George's Fort. Alice gave our group a 5-10 minute talk about its history then we were free to tour it, take pictures, etc. Then our last stop was at Grand Anse Beach where we were dropped off and Nick made arrangements that he would pick us up after two hours' beach time. The beach was beautiful, although crowded. We were instantly hounded by locals and paid $25 to rent two beach chairs and an umbrella, which was totally fine. After the first stiff wind went through, our umbrella was smashed up against DH's face and there was no fix to it (we tried multiple times). We asked if they would replace our umbrella and were told there were no more available. Oh, well, no big deal, we're on vacation. But then when they wanted $1 to use the restroom just so we could change into our suits, ok, now I'm irritated. Once we got into that beautiful warm water, all our cares seemed to float away. Nick arrived on time and back to the boat we went. This tour was $50 pp, and although we saw several places, I would try a different tour company if I ever go back.

More Grenada Reviews Grenada Port Profile Grenada Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
After leaving the ship, we walked about 15 minutes to the St. John Ferry. The ferry stop is almost directly across the street from a local vendor's market where I bought a few souvenirs while we waited for the ferry. The Ferry is $12 each way pp and took about 35 minutes to get to St. John. We took a taxi right off the pier at St. John ($6 pp each way) to Trunk Bay. Trunk Bay is part of the park system and costs $4 pp to get in. We rented two beach chairs, an umbrella, and snorkeling gear for $31 total. (Take your credit card, because they wanted $125 deposit for all this.) Wow! What a beautiful beach! They had nice restrooms and shower facilities, a snack bar, lifeguard, but most of all it was gorgeous and not overly crowded. We snorkeled around the reef and DH even saw a HUGE sea turtle. We stayed here several hours but after talking with some of the other beachcombers, decided to take an earlier ferry back (Red Hook Ferry) so we might see a little more of St. Thomas. The Red Hook Ferry only takes about 10-15 minutes (and is $6 pp each way). Where it drops you off is quite a ways from the cruise ship terminal so you would need to take a taxi back to the ship, but that's what we wanted to do, so no worries. I can't remember, but I think that taxi was $10 pp. The benefit is that the Red Hook Ferry runs every hour, and with the other ferry, we could only go back to St. Thomas at 3:45pm. Since the ship wanted us back on board at 4:15, we didn't want to run it that tight.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum