Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > NurseLovesVacation's Port Reviews of Great Stirrup Cay, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Norwegian Pearl cruise in December 2012
Member Name: NurseLovesVacation
Cruise Date: December 2012
Member Review: NurseLovesVacation's Norwegian Pearl Review
Great Stirrup Cay
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Great Stirrup Cay

First and foremost, there are 3 beaches. The main one where they pack you in like sardines. Seriously, the chairs went about 10 rows deep and were touching for yards and yards. Ick.

The second beach was still more crowded that I'd liked, but was OK. We rented one of the clam shells that fit 2 chairs in this area. This is also where the cabanas are that you can rent. Also, they are fairly close to the restrooms and buffet.

The 3rd beach is so far away its truly laughable. You can hardly see it from the main area. Great if you want privacy for some...errr adult activities. But way to far away from the restroom and buffet.

Now, as far as the buffet goes-be aware it is only open until 2pm. We did not know this and were starved at 2:30 and walked to the buffet to find it closed!

We found this stop very relaxing and really better than expected overall. The waves are very calm and great from swimming or just floating around. Mediocre snorkeling.

More Great Stirrup Cay Reviews Great Stirrup Cay Port Profile Great Stirrup Cay Forum
Ocho Rios
Dunn's River Falls Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Ocho Rios

We loved it here. We were in a group of 6 in our late 20s and loved the feel of this place. Yes, everybody bugs you to buy their junk. Yes, they all openly offer you weed. We found it hilarious. We got off the ship, and hired a guide to drive us around for $15 each. He took us all around the city for about 3 hrs and had a great time. We went to the Dunn's River Falls (MUST do AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE-we were probably the first 30 or so people in this place and walked the falls basically alone. By the time we were done there were thousand of people doing the walk and that would have been terrible). The falls was just amazing! We also went to a lookout point looking over the bay, and then shopping in a remote outdoor market up on the hill and away from the HUGE market down below in the tourist zone. Then the driver took us to the Jerk chicken center-yum! Overall we had a great day in Jamaica. Definitely has a third world feel, but it felt very authentic.

More Ocho Rios Reviews Ocho Rios Port Profile Ocho Rios Forum
Grand Cayman
Stingray Swim Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Georgetown

Here were went on a snorkeling excursion I booked direct with the company. We went to Sting Ray City and then a reef. Sting Ray city is a definite must do. Again, try to get there as early as possible. We then went to Seven Mile Beach (overrated IMO) and had a horrendously overpriced mediocre meal on the beach. We then had to run through the city and barely made it back to the ship-on the last tender! I give this stop a "meh". I found it overpriced. I would like to go again to experience more of the real city. Our excursion took the entire time we were there.

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum
Cozumel
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Having been to Playa del Carmen several times,I was looking forward to this stop the most. I had never been over to Cozumel, but I LOVE Playa del Carmen so I was excited to explore here. Well, isn't it just how this always goes-we pulled into port and weather was horrendous. We learned all water sports and excursions were canceled. So much for our catamaran sail and booze cruise :( We ended up just taking a cab to the other side of the island and walking the beach for a little bit. My husband tried to swim, but it just got downright dangerous with the weather. TIP: If the driver tells you that HE will come back to get you for extra, take him up on the offer. We thought, no thanks, we will find our own way home (He wanted to pick us back up at a certain time and we weren't sure when we wanted to leave the beach). Anyway, apparently in Cozumel taxis are mostly round trip, so we could not get a taxi to take us back to town for over an hour! Every driver was hailed said they were waiting for their customers they had dropped off earlier in the day and wouldn't take us. I couldn't believe it. If it wasn't for a Canadian family letting us into their cab, we'd still be on the other side of Cozumel!

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum