Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > raggedyann6's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

raggedyann6's Port Reviews of Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Glory cruise in January 2013
Member Name: raggedyann6
Cruise Date: January 2013
Member Review: raggedyann6's Carnival Glory Review
Nassau
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We walked to Junkanoo Beach and hung out there for an hour or so. The beach is about a 10 minute easy walk from the ship and the beach is free. They had huts selling drinks, food, massages, and a bathroom. There was a pier next to where we put our towels down to lay out and a local guy was dragging young dogs down the pier with them resisting then he would either kick the dog off the pier into the water, or he would pick up the scared dog and throw him in the water and walk along the pier watching the dog swim back to the beach. This was very very disturbing to watch, I asked one the the ladies selling jewelry why this guy was doing this to theses poor dogs. She said it was for the dogs own good he was getting them used to going into the water to clean them off, WTF??? I said why not just hose them off if they are dirty and hot, not torture them by dragging them on concrete while their little paws were being scraped, then shoved against their will into the ocean. She said maybe he is training these dogs to be tough so the guy could sell them as guard dogs, again WTF. I told her the Americans seeing this were appalled and this is not a good thing for tourism. Two of my friends went to the Queens stairs and said it was nice. We were in port from 7 am to 2 which to me is not enough time. Who gets off the ship at 7 am nothing is even open til 9 or 10.

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I hired a driver to take us around St Thomas a few months before our cruise. Bruce Flamon AKA Chicago. I told him ahead of time what beaches we wanted to go to. He was there when we got off the ship and it was just the 5 of in his open air vehicle. we went to Secrete Harbor, Sapphire Beach and a quick stop at Lindquest Beach before going up high enough to see our cruise ship and Magens Bay and take pictures. I would recommend doing a private tour with Chicago, he is a retired Chicago Policeman and fireman. He was on time picking us up after our beach time, and made sure he got us back to the ship on time. Secret Harbor had some good snorkeling and there was a good restaurant on the beach. You could rent chairs, snorkel gear, paddle boards there. We just used our towels there was a little shade,a bathroom on site that was clean. Sapphire beach is nice there is a dive shop, gift shop, and bathrooms. It was much more windy at Sapphire than Secret Harbor which made the snorkeling a bit harder but still fun. Chicago then took us over to Lindquest Beach they now charge each person $2.00 to go there even though we just wanted to go take some pictures and leave they said no you have to pay. It is a beautiful little beach with no facilities, they do have a lifeguard. Apparently they are going to develop this beach which is a shame it is so pretty and natural.
More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
San Juan
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We were in San Juan from 7-3 again 7 am is too early to get off the ship nothing is open. We got off around 10 and walked to El Moro Fort which was a bit of a hike but not too bad. It cost $3.00 to get into the Fort. It was in a beautiful spot to view the ocean and walk around. The best photo op believe it or not was in the ladies bathroom. There is an alcove in the bathroom with a gorgeous view of the ocean. While we were there some lady hurt her leg and an ambulance took her away there were some stairs to climb she may have slipped. We did some shopping on our way back to the ship from El Moro then stopped off at a bar restaurant across from the cruise docks they had 2 for one margs $10. We got a bit turned around going back to the ship and a government worker walked us to the street we needed to be on very nice! Old San Juan was clean and had interesting architecture, we went into an old church that was nice. We all enjoyed our time walking around and felt completely safe.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
Grand Turk
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I booked a snorkel tour with Blue Water Divers a few months before our cruise. We took a cab to their office which was about $5.00 each person. They fitted us with our snorkle gear and for those that needed wet suits they rented them for $10. There were about 16 of us on our boat we went to 2 snorkel spots. The 1st one was the best it was only about 10 ft deep (I think) it was a little cloudy but saw some pretty fish, we were there for about 45 minutes to an hour. We went to another spot that was deeper it was a little windy and cloudy at this spot. There were fish but they were much further away the depth was 30-700 ft. The 2 crew were helpful and fun. Just water no rum punch or snacks on this excursion which was fine with me. We had some drinks and food at a nice little bar right down the street from the dive shop. It had a deck that was on the beach I had a Turks Head Beer which was great. They make some stiff drinks there. I walked along the beach while waiting for our food a few people were in the water. The water in the Grand Turks was beautiful. We did some looking in the shops by the pier and there was a nice beach right by the cruise docks.

More Grand Turk Reviews Grand Turk Port Profile Grand Turk Forum