Member Reviews

Destination: Bahamas
Member Review: Mah62298's Carnival Fascination Review
Key West
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We did not do an excursion in Key West, we just toured the city on our own and did some shopping. Since we got here so early (7am) many of the stores were closed. But we walked to the Southern Point and took our pictures and did some sight seeing. We had lunch at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. I had the coconut shrimp and my husband had the fish tacos, Both were EXCELLENT. We also had the Blender of Booze and it was awesome also. By this time all of the stores were open and more people were out and about. The weather was BEAUTIFUL, considering it was 8 degrees where we are from. The only thing I can complain about is that every shop sells the same thing, which I have come to find is true at most places. So you can pretty much save time by buying your t shirt in the first shop you see, because every shop has the same items and they are all roughly the same price. We were back on board the ship by 130 and set sail for Nassau at 230 pm.

More Key West Reviews Key West Port Profile Key West Forum
Nassau
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
After docking at the port we made our way thru the port shops to the street and took a taxi to the Sheraton Resort. We had 8 people and the driver charged us $5 per person, he also came back at our desired time and picked us up to take us back to the ship. At the Sheraton we paid $120 for 4 people to use a room for the day and this gave us access to the beach and all of the hotels water activities. We were able to use the water bike, snorkeling equipment, kayaks and the boards were you stand on them and use a paddle, I think this is Wake boarding? Not sure. The hotel, beach and water were beautiful,my in laws had the conch fritters and they said they were very good. We chose this location so that we would not be hassled by locals trying to sell you things on the beach, and there was plenty of security that would run them off if they came onto the property. It was a nice relaxing day, which is exactly what we were looking for and we felt safe there with our daughters.

After we were done here, our taxi driver dropped us at the straw market. This was not something that I enjoyed. There were a few little shops across from the Sheraton, I advise you to go there for your souvenirs, they are selling the same thing as the straw market. And you probably will not be harassed as much. I realize that this is how they make a living but I did not feel safe here with my daughters. When we first went in my husband was going to wait outside on the sidewalk, but within the first 5 minutes I insisted that he come in with me and the girls. There are just endless rows of people selling items (THAT ARE ALL THE SAME!) each row has 4-5 vendors on either side of you, so every 5 feet you are being asked to buy something. I do not know how many times I had to say no thank you just looking. I was trying very hard to be polite, but a few of the women selling items were trying to separate me from my girls. Thank goodness there were 6 adults to watch my two girls. so if you take children here, NEVER let them our of your sight for even a second! We spent about 30 minutes in here which was 30 minutes too long. But we got our souvenirs and we have good stories to tell.

It started to cloud up and rain was moving our way so we were back on board in time for dinner. I would definitely visit this port again, just not the straw market

More Nassau Reviews Nassau Port Profile Nassau Forum