Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > sewerworker's Port Reviews of Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, Curacao, Bonaire

Maasdam cruise in December 2012
Member Name: sewerworker
Cruise Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: sewerworker's Maasdam Review
Half Moon Cay
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
The weather was a bit cool and windy when we were there, but the island was fantastic! Rent a "clam shell" for shade in advance. Free lunch buffet offered on the island. Definitely worth the tender ride to the island.

More Half Moon Cay Reviews Half Moon Cay Port Profile Half Moon Cay Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Ate at "Jen's Cafe". 5084 Norregade. Food was excellent (we had the lobster quesadillia and philly cheesesteak sandwhich), service was friendly, and we felt a very good value. It is pretty close to the Lutheran church. Some friends of mine have told me there is an unnoffical gay beach called "Little Meagan's Beach" (it is next to Meagan's Beach) which you can get to by taxi.
More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum
Barbados
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Best beaches! Warm clear blue water, soft warm sand, and not busy but not overly crowded. The "Boat House" is kind of a gimmick, where you pay $15 per person to enter the public beach, but at least for that price you get a wrist band which lets you use their restrooms, you get one free drink at the bar, and your taxi ride back to the ship is included.

More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
St. Lucia
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We took a 4-hour bus tour from one end of the island to the other, including the volcano. The island is pretty, and I'm glad I did the tour, but once is enough. The next time (I am going on a cruise that visits this island next year) I visit St Lucia, I will stay on the ship as our ship sailes to the south part of the island in the afternoon to pick-up the bus tour, and you can see the "Petons" from there.

More St. Lucia Reviews St. Lucia Port Profile St. Lucia Forum
Curacao
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We found a local guide outside of the cruise terminal, and he gave us a walking tour of the small city and nearby fort, followed by a trip to the waterfall, then a stand where they sell spiced rum (with lots of free samples!). The guide took us on public buses. The fort was $2 each, the buses were $1 each (each way), and then we paid the guide $30 each. Of course he tried to haggle us for more, but we felt both parties left satisifed. It's a nice island, but since you aren't suppose to take most spices off the ship with you back in the US when you go through customs, I really don't have a desire to purposefully go back. I would, however, be sure to drink spice rum the next time I'm there!

More Curacao Reviews Curacao Port Profile Curacao Forum
Bonaire
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Huge new year's fireworks' celebration. The cave tours were good. The fireworks made the New Year holiday one of the best ever!

More Bonaire Reviews Bonaire Port Profile Bonaire Forum
Aruba
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
We took a bus ride around the island, which dropped us off at the beach at the end, and then took public transportation back to the ship. Being from Las Vegas, I live in the desert. Therefore, Aruba was not appealing to me, because it was too desert-like with not enough tropical plants. The beaches were OK.

More Aruba Reviews Aruba Port Profile Aruba Forum