Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > DeliaPug's Port Reviews of San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas

DeliaPug's Port Reviews of San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas
Celebrity Silhouette cruise in January 2013
Member Name: DeliaPug
Cruise Date: January 2013
Member Review: DeliaPug's Celebrity Silhouette Review
San Juan
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
San Juan was my favorite port on this trip. My husband and I opted not to book an excursion and we were able to walk half a mile or so to the fort on the island. We paid three bucks each and we got some amazing shots. This was one of the best preserved forts that I have visited from pre-Colonial times.

We got to visit the bar where the Pina Colada was invented. We were able to do what shopping we wanted to without being harassed by vendors on the street. We do not like being bothered by vendors on the street when we visit different places. We did very little shopping in China because if you even glanced at something the vendor would chase you shouting numbers at you and we found it disturbing. So there was a good amount of crafts available while we could look and choose if we wanted to buy things.

More San Juan Reviews San Juan Port Profile San Juan Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
We did not like this island. Everywhere we went people were trying to lure us into their stores. The only activities we had there were to visit beaches and go shopping, neither of which we enjoy doing. I wanted to try and visit other places on the island, but we opted to look around the first time we went here.

We kept trying to find a restaurant that served conch. We found one, but we were treated very rudely. It was expected that we bought alcoholic drinks at ten o'clock in the morning. When we didn't do so they tried to con us into buying bottled water even though we already had some with us. We wound up leaving because we could eat "free" food on the ship.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum
St. Thomas
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We did the Intro to Scuba Diving excursion at this port. My husband enjoyed doing this, but I am terrified of being under water and this was not for me. The scuba teacher and the company contracted to do this excursion were great and I highly recommend them, I just did not happen to enjoy doing this activity.

I cannot speak as to the rest of the port. After we were done we were cold and tired and went right back to the ship, but looking on the way back the port seemed clean and nice. We are observing that US territories tend to be nicer than islands that are not. The ones outside the US look to be tourist traps where they sell lots of jewelry and cheap trinkets, which is not our thing.

More St. Thomas Reviews St. Thomas Port Profile St. Thomas Forum