Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > SJandSinFolsom's Port Reviews of Cozumel, Costa Maya, Puerto Limon, Colon (Cristobal), Cartagena (Colombia), Grand Cayman

Celebrity Equinox cruise in December 2012
Member Name: SJandSinFolsom
Cruise Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: SJandSinFolsom's Celebrity Equinox Review
Cozumel
Sightseeing Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This was our second time to Cozumel. We discovered on our first visit that taxis are always waiting outside the port. You can book a private taxi for about 3 hours and it will only cost around $75 US dollars. You can see what you want and do what you want. We had 3 people so $25 a person is pretty good in my opinion. When you do this you can get off the ship when you want and you have no one to answer to but yourself.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum
Costa Maya
Golf Cart Rental Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We prebooked a golf cart which I would not suggest unless you actually plan to use it the whole day. We did this and found that we saw everything we wanted to see in about 2hrs, Costa Maya isn't that big. The other problem with prebooking is that they require you to pick it up within 2 hours of docking otherwise they consider you a no show and sell it to someone else. I would have enjoyed it more if I would have got off the ship later in the day since there are mostly restaurants and beaches to visit. I can't drink margaritas at 10am. We returned our cart around 1130am and they rented it to someone else. Last thing, they want to take your cruise card as collateral which I didn't like. Where are you going to go with the cart??

More Costa Maya Reviews Costa Maya Port Profile Costa Maya Forum
Puerto Limon
Rainforest Aerial Tram Tour Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
The aerial tram tour is very short. It only lasts a few minutes. This is usually included with the rainforest so it's not that big of a deal. We didn't do the hike to the waterfall when we were at the bottom, instead, we took a short walk down a walkway (5minutes) to a sitting area where we sat for a few minutes and then returned to the tram. I wasn't impressed.

Veragua Rainforest Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
The first thing that I have to mention is that the roads into the park are bad - rocky, muddy, narrow, not meant for big buses. Our bus on the way back tried to pass another car and it went into the mud and it felt like our bus was going to turn over and roll down the hill. Everyone was scared and trying to get to the other side of the bus to keep it from rolling over. There was no communication from the tour guide/driver to inform people what was going on. They couldn't get the dour open because it was stuck in the mud. They left us on the bus thinking we were going to roll down the hill.

We sat on the road in the middle of nowhere for over an hour waiting for a replacement bus.

Now the tour - The rainforest is pretty but I didn't like my tour. The description indicates you can "leisurely stroll to the riverside jungle observatory or hike the virgin forest to a pristine waterfall." They force you to stay with a guide and they split you up in the beginning into waterfall or easy walk people. So if you have people who want to do different things you have to do the tour completely separate from the other people in your party. I feel we did a lot of waiting around because it was so crowded. The food that they give you (sandwich and fruit) isn't very good, especially for $139. The Princess cruise people received a hot meal, not sure if it was any better but it looked good. I think the Rainforest is a nice place to visit but not on a cruise excursion.

More Puerto Limon Reviews Puerto Limon Port Profile Puerto Limon Forum
Colon (Cristobal)
Embera Indian Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We did this as part of Celebrity's "Grand Tour." The only thing we experienced was a short explanation of their culture and dress. They performed a few dances for us and then gave us a few moments to peruse their handicrafts and shop.

Gatun Lake Tour Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
The ride on the lake was pretty but we spent so much time staring at the hills looking for monkeys and going really slow. I would have been happier taking a nice ride on the lake and enjoying the scenery. Maybe we were there on a slow day and people usually see a lot of monkeys?

Gatun Locks Rating: 5+ out of 5+
I really enjoyed the Locks. We saw a few ships going through the locks and it was fascinating. This was the best part of our cruise in my opinion.

More Colon (Cristobal) Reviews Colon (Cristobal) Port Profile Colon (Cristobal) Forum
Cartagena (Colombia)
Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
This is a nice site to visit but it is very steep walking up to the top. If you can't walk to the top there isn't anything to do at the bottom. My husband sat on the bus. Having said that, I thought the history was interesting and there are great views of the city. There is also a shop at the top where you can buy souvenirs or refreshments.

Harbour Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Cartagena by land and sea

The harbour tour was nice but it is choppy. Ours was on a small boat that held about 45 people, it was covered but if you are on the wrong side you will be in the sun some, make sure you wear sunscreen. I really enjoyed the sights that we saw from the boat.

Couple of bad points, our bus that was to take us shopping and to Castillo de San Felipe was late so we sat on the water for about 30 minutes waiting for it to arrive. The shopping they take you to is a joke! Our tour guide tried to force us into Mr Emerald to hear a lecture on emeralds and when people didn't want to go, he got mad. I paid for the tour and I don't have to listen/or shop for emeralds if I do not want to. The rest of the tour was nice.

More Cartagena (Colombia) Reviews Cartagena (Colombia) Port Profile Cartagena (Colombia) Forum
Grand Cayman
Island Tour Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We opted for a private taxi tour. We went to the info desk outside the cruise ship area and he got us a taxi. We payed about $100 bucks (3 people) for a couple of hours. Might be a little steep but we got to do what we wanted to do and it was a nice break from the crowds.

More Grand Cayman Reviews Grand Cayman Port Profile Grand Cayman Forum